Talk About the Latest in Home Automation/Home Electronics -
Home Automation Forum

Smarthome Forum
Insteon Home Automation
Login or Register

Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Search | FAQ | Smarthome | Security and Privacy
 All Forums
 General Discussion
 Lighting and Appliance Control
 3 way motion
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

LouF
Starting Member

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2019 :  10:07:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Currently 3 way circuit in hallway with 1 switch on level1 and 1 switch on level2 working fine. Would like to change over to motion detector switches GE (26931) Z-Wave Motion Detector. Can two motion detector switches be used on the same circuit? Cannot find wiring diagram to support this setup. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

oberkc

USA
3892 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2019 :  5:52:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I can tell you that this would be possible with my z-wave controller. Do you have any type of controller or programmer?

I am not sure that this would be a wiring issue, rather you would have to make each z-wave device controller for the other.

Unfortunately, my z-wave experience is limited to a few switches, outlets, and motion sensors.
Go to Top of Page

DarkRyusan
Starting Member

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2019 :  06:19:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm currently trying to do the exact same thing as OP. I was trying to install the Lutron motion switches (don't have the part number). After a few unsuccessful attempts at installation I've done a bit more research and it looks like the recommendation is to wire the switches in parallel with the light they are controlling. I assume that if you have a wifi enabled model there may be program controls to get around this, but this isn't the case I'm looking at currently.

My experience level is pretty low so I'm learning as I go, but I've reached out to an electrician friend for advise on next steps to work with what I have. Otherwise I'm looking for alternatives to get motion at the top and bottom of the stairs.
Go to Top of Page

oberkc

USA
3892 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2019 :  6:10:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I use insteon and z-wave devices. Certainly, insteon devices would be able to link up to each other without a separate hub. You could, for example, install motion sensors at top and bottom of stairs and have either trigger your lights. Z-wave switches would require a hub.

Many of the smart switches that I have worked with require a hot and neutral to work. Only one of the switches actually controls the load. Recently, however, I have played around with a couple of Leviton homekit switches. The remote switch does NOT require a neutral. You would need to determine whether you have (or could have) hot and neutral in all switch locations.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Smarthome Forum © 2000-2019 Smartlabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page