Talk About the Latest in Home Automation/Home Electronics -
Home Automation Forum

Smarthome Forum
Insteon Home Automation
Login or Register

Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Search | FAQ | Smarthome | Security and Privacy
 All Forums
 General Discussion
 Insteon
 Is Micro module only Insteon device with "senese"
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

acima
Average Member

185 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2019 :  2:59:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is Micro module only Insteon device with "light switch sense"?
https://www.insteon.com/on-off-micro-module/
->Sense wiring retains local control at the switch

Would be useful for plugin devices to offer when a lamp is plugged in. Way to hard for guests to explain button on wall device or buying an other button which still would require explanation....

Not sure that I could use the micro switch unless I would wire it in behind a receptacle.

Has anyone here done such a use case?

oberkc

USA
3892 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2019 :  03:54:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I believe some of the plug-in modules (lamplinc) still have a load "sense". Such devices can detect when the device plugged in is manually turned ON or OFF. When sensed, I believe the modules will, themselves, turn ON or OFF. The original outletlinc had that same feature, but I do not believe the current generation has it. Of course, if the device plugged into the lamplinc is left OFF manually by one of your guests, it cannot be turned on by insteon. Another problem is that the sense feature is via a small electrical current. For low-power loads, such as LED christmas lights, this current is enough to cause the lights to appear to be on (if dimmed).

Also keep in mind, this is different than the "sense" line of the micromodule. I don't think this sense wire would help with plug-in devices such as a lamp.

Go to Top of Page

BLH
Advanced Member

5945 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2019 :  3:33:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Micro Module's Sense Lines are triggered by the application and removing a 120VAC signal on the Sense Lines. Many times by a standard wall switch.

I also can't see an outlet triggering a Micro Modules Sense input. With a load like a lamp plugged in or turned On and Off.

The sales page for the micro module is now showing "Product Is Unavailable".

The Insteon Outlet sales page does indicate it has load sensing.

Edited by - BLH on 02/04/2019 3:41:30 PM
Go to Top of Page

acima
Average Member

185 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2019 :  12:53:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
could build a large switch using a box like this
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Non-Metallic-Wire-Series-1-3-4-in-Raceway-Device-Box-White-NMW35/100149089?MERCH=REC-_-PIPHorizontal2_rr-_-100544174-_-100149089-_-N
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Smarthome Forum © 2000-2019 Smartlabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page