Talk About the Latest in Home Automation/Home Electronics -
Home Automation Forum

Smarthome Forum
Insteon Home Automation
Login or Register

Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Search | FAQ | Smarthome | Security and Privacy
 All Forums
 General Discussion
 Surveillance
 Need everything!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

donf
Starting Member

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2019 :  2:57:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
First post here. Really don't know if "Insteon" is the answer to any question asked here or not but here goes.

My situation: Moving to new house, wife was injured a few years back, mobility varies day by day from almost bedridden to being able to walk 100 yards, Also tends to be daunted by learning new tasks, she functions very well but "technical stuff" takes time and is forgotten if not used daily.

At present we are functioning (in a temporary apartment) with a hand full of Alexa devices, an ADT system, 2 Kevo locks,and a Nest thermostat. This allows her to control by voice or her phone/iPad and is very useful.

The new house presents some possible issues - with 5 exterior doors, 5 bedrooms, and the usual assortment of living spaces she will have a lot to keep track of and control. We also want some sort of intercom system - presently the Alexa Dots perform that duty quite well so I'm envisioning a a dozen dots or assistants or
?.

I'm almost locked into some things -
ADT is non-negotiable, we've used them for 30 years and she will not switch. Period.
Alexa - i'm not married to it and I could switch if it was similar enough. Anything with syntax more complicated than that system would confuse both of us.But I could be talked into something else.
I have 4 Nest cameras (purchased for our last home but never installed). Ehhh, either way.
Also have the Nest thermostat which I installed a few months ago and will go with me. (She likes it and that's good enough for me!)I think this is a definate keeper.

Now, since the most concrete item is the ADT security system I would like to build 'around' it. Unfortunately, it will work with the thermostat fine but not nest cameras or Nest fire/smoke alarms (which I like a lot and plan on using unless a similar product is out there). But it plays well with Alexa, a big plus at this point.

The Nest products seem to work well with Alexa too, just not ADT.

For lighting and ceiling fans I'll go with Lutron, they seem to work with everything and the few I have now operate flawlessly (or at least pretty well).

So, does not having the cameras "connect" with ADT a big deal? I really think I would be quicker on the draw if I received an alert than they would (based on their response time when I forget to turn off the system and trip it). Should the Nests go on the bay and I buy ADT cameras?

Am I right or delusional?

The Fire/smoke alarms are simple - if I'm home I want alerted so I can run like hell. If I'm not it's considerably less critical and the nest features seem pretty nice. I can call the fire department myself.

Still right or delusioner.

Lastly, I want (OK, my wife wants but you know....) some sort of "big screen" device to view the cameras and especially the front door. The ADT pads have to be wired into a wall. Not good for her, not convenient for either of us. The options I'm aware of are the Amazon show devices or iPads. I know I'll need 3 but that could expand in the future. I'm leaning towards iPads which would work with most hubs (I think)

Even still right or delusionest?

Thanks in advance, I'm sure i'll have more questions.

The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.
Groucho Marx
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Smarthome Forum © 2000-2019 Smartlabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page