Talk About the Latest in Home Automation/Home Electronics -
Home Automation Forum

Smarthome Forum
Insteon Home Automation
Login or Register

Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Search | FAQ | Smarthome | Security and Privacy
 All Forums
 General Discussion
 Surveillance
 Viewing - iPad, Fire Tablet, Show, or ?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

donf
Starting Member

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2019 :  10:41:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Slowly I'm getting thing to work around the house. Sometimes they even do what i thought I wanted them to do!!

But number one on my list is my security viewing situation. For home use iPhones are - what I am determining - my secondary choice. My original intention was Amazon Shows scattered around. In some areas (kitchen, master bath) they are fine, but their weight and size make them a poor choice for the wife and I. Other than buy 15 of them to place in every conceivable location, I'm wanting a truly portable soltion. I have a few iPads that I have as yet to unpack.(Heck, I don't know what box they are even in) but I'm really wondering about the Fire Tablets. Will the cheaper one provide the ability to view 4 cameras easily? Will the resolution be adequate for the task? Is something else that is Alexa freindly out there/

Thanks

The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.
Groucho Marx

oberkc

USA
3963 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2019 :  03:43:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I play around with a couple of echo (alexa) devices. As near as I can tell, they work only with cameras certified to do so. For my purposes, I use tablets (I have iPads and android devices) to view my particular cameras, which are mostly DLink. I use an app called "IP Cam Pro" I have eight cameras. It works fine.

The thing that I find most frustrating is that it seems most of the available cameras are going to cloud-based, and require their own app to view. I am not interested in this, so I am careful that I pick out cameras that have a direct IP address that I can access without cloud services.
Go to Top of Page

openeye007
Starting Member

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2019 :  07:04:39 AM  Show Profile  Visit openeye007's Homepage  Reply with Quote
or you can always invest in a hard wire system which uses a dvr where all the cameras plug into and uses one app instead of being all over the place, hope I was helpful.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Smarthome Forum © 2000-2019 Smartlabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page