Talk About the Latest in Home Automation/Home Electronics -
Home Automation Forum

Smarthome Forum
Insteon Home Automation
Login or Register

Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Search | FAQ | Smarthome | Security and Privacy | Do Not Sell My Info
 All Forums
 General Discussion
 Insteon
 Control LED lights with Insteon
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

[email protected]
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2019 :  6:24:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As a long term Insteon user I remember a few years ago a problem that the low power requirements of LED lights caused a problem for Insteon switches in that they would the lights would pulse or flash.

Recently my wife replaced a few bulbs with LED and sure enough this issue occurred (my switches are a few years old) so my question is has this issue been resolved in later switches or is there a workaround for how to use LED lights with Insteon switches ?

KDD

oberkc

USA
4129 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2019 :  7:37:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I dont remember this problem with switches as much as with lamp modules and outlets. I believe that this is related to sensing whether the attached device has been manually turned off/on. For outlets, I think this is solved. I am not so sure as for modules (or switches).
Go to Top of Page

lilyoyo1

335 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2019 :  8:34:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Unfortunately not all Led bulbs are created equally. Depending on how old your switches are, the simply may not be compatible. Newer devices generally work well though you should still test for compatibility. I've found Phillips warm gloe bulbs work really well.

Edited by - lilyoyo1 on 05/26/2019 8:37:01 PM
Go to Top of Page

BLH
Advanced Member

6242 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2019 :  03:07:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You didn't mention the Insteon model number of the switches.
If they are the 2474D two wire dimmers. They steal power through the load and are for incandescent bulbs only.
Go to Top of Page

[email protected]
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2019 :  05:43:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, the switches in question are the 8 button 3 wire switches.model 2486D and they are quite old, if new switches resolve this I will just replace but don’t want to buy and have same issue.

Also one issue with 2477 but not sure if this is because in same scene as the 8 way.

Ps thanks all for quick replies

KDD
Go to Top of Page

oberkc

USA
4129 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2019 :  3:17:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Most likely case, in my mind, is incompatibility between dimmer and bulb. Is bulb rated to be dimmed? Have you tried other bulbs? Unfortunately, I have found no guarantees with dimmers and LED bulbs. They are, generally, trial-and-error for me. Fortunately, most of mine have been fine.

Don't believe being in the same scene would affect anything here.
Go to Top of Page

kdjerred
Average Member

USA
80 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2020 :  8:58:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I’ve not had that problem. 99% of switches are Insteon and 95%bulbs are LED. No blinking. I did have a curio cabinet with a small LED bulb that blinked and switched back to standard. Most bulbs are FEIT brand but don’t know if that’s the reason.
Go to Top of Page

oberkc

USA
4129 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2020 :  04:18:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I believe the blinking is caused by insteon device which have the "sense" current, used to detect if a connected load is switched on. I do not believe that such devices include the wall switch, but the original outletlincs and plug-in modules often had the "sense" current. Because of this current, very low-power LED bulbs could flicker or glow dimly.
Go to Top of Page

BLH
Advanced Member

6242 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2020 :  06:30:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by LeonardMartin

God, I have the same problem. These lights were always blinking, and it infuriated me.

If the Insteon Switch is a dimmer type. Are the LED bulbs specified as dimmable?
Go to Top of Page

KylieSmith
Starting Member

1 Posts

Posted - 10/31/2020 :  09:13:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It may be that the problem is not only in the switch, but also in poor-quality light bulbs. It is worth paying attention to this. Not many people know this, but LED lights are much better for us and they last much longer. The electricity consumption is much less.

Edited by - KylieSmith on 11/01/2020 09:52:54 AM
Go to Top of Page

Banichi

USA
23 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2020 :  10:24:45 AM  Show Profile  Send Banichi an AOL message  Reply with Quote
From my understanding talking with support, Insteon uses "leading edge" dimming as opposed to "trailing edge" dimming. So I would venture to guess that even though we are often using "dimmable" LEDs they might be trailing edge and thus we experience issues.

Trailing edge dimming as I understand it is a more fluid dimming technology and many manufacturers are going that direction so it might be a good idea for Insteon to makes some moves that direction as well.

I dunno that is my understanding though.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Smarthome Forum © 2000-2020 Smartlabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page