Talk About the Latest in Home Automation/Home Electronics -
Home Automation Forum

Smarthome Forum
Insteon Home Automation
Login or Register

Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Search | FAQ | Smarthome | Security and Privacy | Do Not Sell My Info
 All Forums
 General Discussion
 Cable & Structured Wiring
 Help me choose a linear actuator
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Kapitonov
Starting Member

Canada
4 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2019 :  05:56:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi! I want to put myself a linear actuator on the sliding gate to the cottage. I looked in the internet, there are a lot of offers and the prices are very different. Maybe there are people here who understand this and can advise me what type of actuator is better, manufacturer and where to buy? I will be very grateful.

BLH
Advanced Member

6178 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2019 :  4:08:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Can you tell us more about the actuator?
Do you want manual controls, a remote control or maybe integrate it into an Automation setup.
Is there any power available where you want to the gate controlled?
Go to Top of Page

Kapitonov
Starting Member

Canada
4 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2019 :  09:57:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I choose between https://www.actuatorzone.com/electric-linear-actuator and https://www.digikey.com/en/product-highlight/p/portescap/20dam-series-digital-linear-actuators
Go to Top of Page

BLH
Advanced Member

6178 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2019 :  11:14:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I downloaded both units specification sheets.

The Digikey one is a servo and requires a electronic driver to be used. They didn't have much of a distance between full closed and open.

The Actuatorzone ones. Uses a Hall Effect sensor for position sensing. Except the 24 volt ones can have a limit switch so when it gets to ends of travel. It will stop. They also use a fair amount of DC current and would need a heavy duty control or switch. Also they have a limited full closed to full open distance and are not very fast at all. The specification sheet is on their web site. You can see how fast they are and the total distance they move. The specification sheet shows the longest closed to open distance of five feet.

I don't think either one will work, for what you want to do.

I saw you thread on CocoonTech. They pointed out some of the limitations for a sliding gate. You may want to do a search for sliding gate openers that are designed to do what you want to do.

Edited by - BLH on 06/06/2019 3:22:50 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Smarthome Forum © 2000-2020 Smartlabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page