Talk About the Latest in Home Automation/Home Electronics -
Home Automation Forum

Smarthome Forum
Insteon Home Automation
Login or Register

Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Search | FAQ | Smarthome | Security and Privacy | Do Not Sell My Info
 All Forums
 General Discussion
 Speakers, A/V & Home Theater
 HDMI Interupt Switch
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Shadly
Starting Member

1 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2019 :  07:47:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Does anyone know a voice activated (Alexa, etc.) HDMI switch? Or a way to hack a push button switch with a wifi relay?

I'm not looking to switch between inputs or outputs, I am just looking to interrupt an HDMI connection (i.e. on or off). I bought a cheapy push button bi-directional 2-to-1 splitter and was going to take it apart and hook the button up to a relay, but it is more complex than I thought, so likely not going to work.

Any ideas or suggestions?

EDIT: Why can't I interrupt the 5 vdc power supply of the cable (pin 18) with a relay? Would my graphics card know to not transmit over the line, or would it still think it should be sending an output?

Edited by - Shadly on 06/02/2019 09:32:09 AM

BLH
Advanced Member

6191 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2019 :  4:20:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
From what I have seen. The 5 volts is supplied by the source device.
I have an automatic 2 port HDMI switch and it picks the input to be outputted by detecting the 5 volts.
If both inputs are active there is a manual select button to pick what is outputted.

So it may depend on what you are using as the source and the receiver of the HDMI data. Detecting the 5 volts and starting the HDMI handshake to determine what can be sent.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Smarthome Forum © 2000-2020 Smartlabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page