Talk About the Latest in Home Automation/Home Electronics -
Home Automation Forum

Smarthome Forum
Insteon Home Automation
Login or Register

Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Search | FAQ | Smarthome | Security and Privacy | Do Not Sell My Info
 All Forums
 General Discussion
 Security
 smoke detection
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

hawaiiguy
Starting Member

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2019 :  12:20:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a property separate from my home, and I would like to know if there's an outdoor fire threatening my structures. I came across an app called Smokey. When installed in a smartphone, it enables the smartphone to "hear" the sound of a smoke detector and then send a text message to another phone. And it's free. However, it seems wifi is required. I don't see the need for wifi (which I don't have at my other property). A smoke detector doesn't need wifi to make a sound, and phones send text messages without wifi. Obviously I'm missing something. Can anyone explain?

SeanM
Administrator

USA
94 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2019 :  06:52:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Its true that your phone doesn't need Wi-Fi to send SMS messages because the phone is using its 3G/4G/LTE connection. This is much more expensive to maintain, and/or would require the need for a SIM card in the product you buy, which adds the cost of a monthly cellular subscription. This is why you will find most products use some sort of Wi-Fi set up.

If you cannot find a LTE enabled smoke alarm set up you could always try a small wireless hotspot. That would allow those Wi-Fi smoke detectors to get to the internet and you could get your text messages.
Go to Top of Page

hawaiiguy
Starting Member

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2019 :  11:17:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the information. Not sure which way to go. I can get a smart phone from Consumer Cellular for $25, install the Smokey app for free, and buy a smoke alarm for various prices (all boasting a ten percent failure rate. All face east and salute China). I find the wireless hotspot to be confusing. Not sure how it works, but I assume it will work where there is no wi-fi available. Seems to be only one available for a reasonable price ($75).
Go to Top of Page

JohiahKep
Starting Member

India
4 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2019 :  11:42:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You don't need Wi-Fi to send messages as your Phone is having an LTE Connection.
Go to Top of Page

Jose1963

19 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2019 :  10:21:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When the concentration of smoke is out of limits, smoke detector will make a alert, and send a alarm signal to collector. As far as I know, you don’t need wifi to send a message to you, you can use 3G or 4G GSM connection. And there is a new-type smart smoke detector in the market. Smart smoke detector can tell you whether your home is fire or not through intelligent speaker and your smartphone, I am not familiar with this one, it seems this kind of smoke detector need to connect wifi.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Smarthome Forum © 2000-2020 Smartlabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page