Talk About the Latest in Home Automation/Home Electronics -
Home Automation Forum

Smarthome Forum
Insteon Home Automation
Login or Register

Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Search | FAQ | Smarthome | Security and Privacy | Do Not Sell My Info
 All Forums
 General Discussion
 Speakers, A/V & Home Theater
 Upgrade Recommendations
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

UncaDon
Starting Member

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2019 :  7:20:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm looking to upgrade my house sound/AV system remote control system. I have four audio systems, three are identical stereo receivers for the deck, kitchen and living room, all located in a rack in the basement. The main system in the family room is a Sony AV receiver, cable box (FiOS), Blu ray player and CD changer (I'm old school). The audio outputs of the cable box, CD changer and Blu ray player are fed into DAs to feed the other three receivers, so I can play those sources throughout the house. There is a Xantech IR zoning module that isolates the four zones but has a common output that allows each of the sources to be controlled from every room.

The biggest issue I have is on the deck. I have an ancient Radio Shack IR/RF remote that only works when you are standing next to the wall opposite the RF receiver. I also have a programmable remote that works the three receivers. This system has served me well for many years, but it's starting to show it's age and if something breaks, I doubt if I could replace it. The main system has had just every components replaced at least once since I first built this system and I haven't been reprogramming the remote, so we have a coffee table full of separate remotes.

I have an Insteon hub for lighting control, but it's basically being used as a fancy timer to turn the lights on and off. I don't think I could base this system off of that platform.

What I'm looking for is a recommendation for HW & SW to control this system. I looked at the Harmony hub, but it looks like I would need four of them to make my system work and then, I don't know if I could control multiple units from a single app. The iTach system looks like it would work, but I would need at least 2 and possibly 3 IP to IR units. I also don't know if the app would handle the three identical receivers on different zones. And I'm not sure I could write the code to make it all work. I have wired Ethernet at the rack where the 3 receivers are located and at the family room location. Plus WiFi.

Any suggestions? Are there other solutions I haven't looked at?
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Smarthome Forum © 2000-2020 Smartlabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page