Talk About the Latest in Home Automation/Home Electronics -
Home Automation Forum

Smarthome Forum
Insteon Home Automation
Login or Register

Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Search | FAQ | Smarthome | Security and Privacy
 All Forums
 General Discussion
 Lighting and Appliance Control
 Smart bulbs and adapters issue
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Mejordan
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2019 :  03:36:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey all

I’m after some advice... I’ve moved into a new place that had GX24 light fittings so I bought adapters for my smart E27 bulbs to screw into (mix of hue and tradfri). However they will not work with the adapters. They work fine in a lamp that has a normal E27 fitting so I can only assume it’s the adapter problem.

Question is, is it my particular adapters or do smart bulbs not work with any adapters? I’m sure I’ve used my tradfri bulbs with adapters before.

Thanks

lilyoyo1

310 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2019 :  06:26:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't see why they wouldn't work. I would check with the OEM of your bulbs to see if they work with adapters.

The only issues I could see is if your current lights were on a dimmer which may play a part if they were turned all the way up. The other issue would be if the adapter was not set in the socket properly.

Edited by - lilyoyo1 on 08/20/2019 06:32:27 AM
Go to Top of Page

BLH
Advanced Member

6034 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2019 :  06:35:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What do the adapters do?
Change the bulbs base to match the socket you want to us.
Or are they also changing the sockets local voltage to match the bulbs voltage? Like put a 120VAC bulb in a 220VAC system. Found in other countries.
Go to Top of Page

Mejordan
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2019 :  1:29:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the replies. The adapters just change the socket. Not the voltage. Phillips have come back and said they don’t recommend using adapters as they might not get enough voltage to power the bulb!
Go to Top of Page

oberkc

USA
3972 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2019 :  3:33:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have no personal experience with these adapters, but a quick web search makes me wonder if your fixture has a ballast in it? Apparently, these GX24 bases could be intended for florescent bulbs. I see a lot of instructions that suggest bypassing the fixture ballast in order to use an adapter and standard bulb.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Smarthome Forum © 2000-2019 Smartlabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page