Talk About the Latest in Home Automation/Home Electronics -
Home Automation Forum

Smarthome Forum
Insteon Home Automation
Login or Register

Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Search | FAQ | Smarthome | Security and Privacy | Do Not Sell My Info
 All Forums
 General Discussion
 Thermostats & HVAC Control
 Simple connected baseboard thermostat
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

TonyToews
Starting Member

Canada
4 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2019 :  09:14:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have electric baseboard heating with those dumb, stupid rotary dial thermostats that don't display the temperature. I can hear a relay clicking in the thermostat as I twist the knob up and down. I'm also severely visually impaired and I will shortly no longer be able to read.

So I want a simple, connected thermostat. I only really want a display and an up and down button but really I don't even want that. No seven day programmable or colour touch screen.

I don't care if it's WiFi, zWave or Zigbee. I will buy the appropriate hub if required.

So then I can setup a day and night routine using Google Assistance, or whatever, and then control it using my voice.

I've come across one or two in my searches but they seem to have much more features, and cost, than I need or want to spend.

BLH
Advanced Member

6157 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2019 :  3:32:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Many electric baseboard heating thermostats. Use a line voltage {probably 220VAC} switch. The first thing you may want to do is verify if the mechanical thermostat switches the AC line voltage power to the baseboard heat. Low Voltage 24VAC control voltage is what thermostats use if not specifically made for line voltage controlled. Electrical baseboard heat.

In that case you should be able to use an AUBE RC840t-240 On/Off switching relay. It would control the AC power to the heat and has a 24VAC control compatible with standard thermostats.

Edited by - BLH on 08/22/2019 3:56:40 PM
Go to Top of Page

TonyToews
Starting Member

Canada
4 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2019 :  10:59:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Do I just pull on the rotary knob and then the case to take a look inside?

This would requires a box of some sort right next to the thermostat to hide this. And is an additional $50 to $75 per thermostat. (sigh)

So using the search words 'line voltage thermostat' I did come across a page with several such thermostats which is a more convenient solution for me. https://thesmartcave.com/best-line-voltage-smart-thermostat/
Go to Top of Page

TonyToews
Starting Member

Canada
4 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2019 :  11:07:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
At least one of those thermostats is only good for 2000 watts so that's something to double check. And one comment from one person about how the thermostat runs hot to the touch when the heat is on. Yikes.
Go to Top of Page

BLH
Advanced Member

6157 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2019 :  3:31:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Before trying to look inside. I would turn Off the breaker for the heat in question. So you don't have a problem like a shock if shorting something to ground.

I don't know how to take the cover off.
It probably depends on the thermostat model in question.
Some may have a cover that snaps over the knob, have a small screw on the bottom edge holding it on or remove the knob and then remove the cover.

If the original ones have a manufacturers name on the cover. You could look on their web site and try and find your model by comparing their photos. Most have manuals available on the models web page.

You maybe able to look at the heaters rating plate to see its wattage and voltage.
Go to Top of Page

TonyToews
Starting Member

Canada
4 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2019 :  2:23:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Turns out the cover is easily pulled off, a toddler could do it, and the knob stays on the thermostat. And it's a Stelpro with the specs embedded in the plastic plate. I assume the 120/240 VAC wires are in the junction box covered by the plastic plate with screws, etc. so it's safe to remove just the thermostat cover.
Go to Top of Page

BLH
Advanced Member

6157 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2019 :  3:22:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Glad you got the cover off.

I found the Stelpro web site. It looks like you probably have a SWT1 single pole {switches one of the lines} or the SWT2 double pole {switches both lines}.

They do have some more elaborate ones that are Z-Wave and Zigbee. Along with programmable ones. Not sure if any of them would fit your needs.

Edited by - BLH on 08/27/2019 3:39:50 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Smarthome Forum © 2000-2020 Smartlabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page