Talk About the Latest in Home Automation/Home Electronics -
Home Automation Forum

Smarthome Forum
Insteon Home Automation
Login or Register

Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Search | FAQ | Smarthome | Security and Privacy | Do Not Sell My Info
 All Forums
 General Discussion
 Energy Saving Solutions
 What home energy saving methods will pay for thems
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Ressler
Starting Member

3 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2019 :  11:44:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello everyone,,
A bit of info: I live in the Northeast in a small house that was fully renovated about 20 years ago. Most of the front of the house is sliding glass doors (6 panels), which I imagine lose a lot of heat in the winter and a/c in the summer - especially because I'm on a lake and get a lot of wind. My water heater, heat, central A/C, and appliances are all about the same 20 years old. Lights are mostly halogen, some incandescent.

I don't have much disposable income, so I'm looking for things I can do that will save what they cost within a year. Got anything?

Edited by - Ressler on 09/14/2019 09:29:49 AM

Tfitzpatri8
Administrator

USA
10827 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2019 :  12:51:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Replacing halogen and incandescent lighting with LED bulbs offers a speedy return on investment. A Nest thermostat will challenge you to reduce your heater/AC use and can automatically switch to more conservative settings when it doesn’t see you moving around, that’d be another relatively inexpensive upgrade.
Go to Top of Page

oberkc

USA
4092 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2019 :  04:03:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I know someone who had an energy audit performed on his house. They identified, among other things, sources of air infiltration. Some of the fixes for those problems are relatively easy and inexpensive.
Go to Top of Page

Sharry87
Starting Member

6 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2019 :  5:28:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Like Tfitz mentioned, LED, A/C optimization, etc, can all help with energy bills. I'd keep in mind that the more smart home devices you add in, the higher electricity bill will be as well...
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Smarthome Forum © 2000-2020 Smartlabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page