Talk About the Latest in Home Automation/Home Electronics -
Home Automation Forum

Smarthome Forum
Insteon Home Automation
Login or Register

Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Search | FAQ | Smarthome | Security and Privacy
 All Forums
 General Discussion
 Insteon
 Two issues and a question
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Dembe
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2019 :  05:43:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello everyone,,
I'm redoing a small house to use insteon and so far its been going well, but I'm having two issues I'm hoping someone can lend some insight into.

1. I have a 6-button keypad which drives 4-can lights. It's working fine with on\off\dim. In HouseLinc, I created a scene that dims all the lights in the house to 10% (including the 4 cans). I assigned Scene A on the 6-button keypad to be the controller for this function. This works great with one problem - the 4-can lights that are controlled by the on/off of that 6-button keypad don't dim to the amount I requested - they seem to go to about 50%, and then I can dim them further manually. Every other light in the house does this correct. In the scene I've got the on/off setup as a responder, and to dim to 10%. Any thoughts?

2. I have another 6-button keypad that is setup with 4 scenes to control the fan of a fanlinc - configured so that when one scene is pressed all the others turn off as responders, and the one active button is a controller. This configuration worked perfectly in one room, but recreating the exact configuration in another (with the differnet fanlinc and keypad and scenes of course) has them work for turning the fan on, but not for turning the other scenes (buttons) off, and in addition the off button won't work. They are set as responders with off in HouseLinc, but it is simply not working on this switch. Any ideas?

3. A question I have is if it is possible to unlink the on/off button of a 6-button keypad from the actual load connected to it and control them individually. For example, due to the existing wiring, a 6-button keypad that controls a chandelier is in an unusual place, where the on-off buttons would be better assigned to a different rooms lighting control. Can they be split so that other devices can control the chandelier? I didn't see any obivious way in HouseLinc.

Edited by - Dembe on 09/14/2019 3:44:59 PM

lilyoyo1

318 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2019 :  09:19:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I haven't used houselinc since 2012 so I can't help you with any of the programming. In regards to your last question, is the kpl actually connected to the load?
Go to Top of Page

SeanM
Administrator

USA
88 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2019 :  09:36:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
1. if you are using the Keypad manually it might be simpler at this point to set the dim level locally at the keypad. Using the keypad button set the lights to the desired level and then do a single tap on the keypad. They should always go to that level now. Probably want to get rid f this scene in HL if it works.

2. In the scene creation page you need to make sure the other button are a part of that scene and that they are set to OFF. You need to make a scene for each action. High, Med Low and make sure the button responses are set appropriately. This one is tedious.

3. It's not possible to separate the On and Off buttons on a 6 button KPL. You could hook up an embedded relay like the 2443-222 to what the 6 button is currently controlling and then link that to one of the other buttons on the keypad. This would free up the main On/Off buttons. You could then cap off the load wire of the 6-button keypad and then link the On/Off button to another Insteon device if you want.
Go to Top of Page

BLH
Advanced Member

6083 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2019 :  03:35:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
3. I have seen a developer indicate the load can be disconnected by software writing to the KPL and did it as a test. As documented in the Developers Notes. Now I don't know if it is only a certain firmware in the KPL as updates may add or remove things.
Go to Top of Page

lilyoyo1

318 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2019 :  05:57:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BLH

3. I have seen a developer indicate the load can be disconnected by software writing to the KPL and did it as a test. As documented in the Developers Notes. Now I don't know if it is only a certain firmware in the KPL as updates may add or remove things.

It's not supported in houselinc. That feature came out after houselinc was discontinued. Homeseer supports that feature
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Smarthome Forum © 2000-2019 Smartlabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page