Talk About the Latest in Home Automation/Home Electronics -
Home Automation Forum

Smarthome Forum
Insteon Home Automation
Login or Register

Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Search | FAQ | Smarthome | Security and Privacy | Do Not Sell My Info
 All Forums
 General Discussion
 Lighting and Appliance Control
 Control ceiling fan and light
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Pulleync
Starting Member

1 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2019 :  2:14:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello,
I have a single throw wall switch that provides power to both the fan and the light, both of which are presently controlled by pull-switches.

There is one black wire to the top and one to the bottom of the switch. The bottom one is wire-nutted to 2 more black wires inside the box. There are 3 white wires wire-nutted together and 3 copper ground wires also wire-nutted together, all inside the mounting box.

Is there a WiFi switch available that will control both the light and the fan that will fit inside this small and crowded switch box, or am I looking at replacing the wall box with a double-wide as well?

I’m using Alexa and Smart Life plus Nest to control current smartening and it would be nice to be able to control this with Alexa too.

oberkc

USA
4095 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2019 :  7:17:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, first, it sounds as if you have only a single hot conductor to the fan. In order to control a fan and light separately, you would need 2 hot conductors...one for the fan and one for the light. Having said this, it sounds like there is an extra black conductor in there for something. I would determine for what before going much further. If only a single conductor, then you would need to add a second (much work, most likely. You will wish it was as simple as replacing the box with a double-wide).

Second, clarify your desire for wifi switch. Do you desire, for some reason, a switch that connects directly to your wifi system? Are you not interested in other wireless options? What capability do you seek that you believe wifi is the only solution?

Third, can you access the fan box in the ceiling? There are options to put an automated module in the fan box, and control it indirectly via a switch in the switch box. I am not sure that there are wifi variants of such combinations, however.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Smarthome Forum © 2000-2020 Smartlabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page