Talk About the Latest in Home Automation/Home Electronics -
Home Automation Forum

Smarthome Forum
Insteon Home Automation
Login or Register

Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Search | FAQ | Smarthome | Security and Privacy | Do Not Sell My Info
 All Forums
 General Discussion
 Lighting and Appliance Control
 Room lighting, scene controls, maybe not Hue?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

offby1
Starting Member

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2019 :  07:09:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My living room has four fixtures in it that are independently powered -- it's an old house, so each sconce has its own switch. Currently, I have a Hue bulb in each one, and I'm configuring different lighting scenarios in it via the Hue app (light the fireplace, TV mode, etc).

However, I'm looking at the rest of my house now and coming to the conclusion that Hue is probably not my long term solution. I want to install smart switches instead of lights, I think, and stick to conventional LED bulbs everywhere else. I'm probably going to go with a SmartThings hub for the rest of the house, mainly because I already have one :) -- a hass.io or Hubitat if I get really nerdy later -- so what I'm wondering is, is there a smart bulb solution I can get that will play nice with my wiring situation that will work better with the SmartThings, or am I better off leaving the Hue bulbs in place in the living room and just bridging them to the main hub?

--
Chris

lilyoyo1

334 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2019 :  8:06:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is probably a question best asked on the smartthings forum. Any smart bulb solution would probably be expensive and over priced. There are ways to use switches to automate your other lights but I don't know what smartthings supports
Go to Top of Page

Armymutt
Starting Member

12 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2019 :  11:02:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I had a similar situation, I think. I have ceiling fans, each with two bulbs. It ended up being cheaper to buy the Hue white bulbs vs an Insteon switch for each fan. The only light bulb fixture in my house using a conventional LED bulb is the dining room fixture, which has 5 bulbs and is controlled by 2 switches.
Go to Top of Page

Tfitzpatri8
Administrator

USA
10848 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2019 :  11:29:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Armymutt

I had a similar situation, I think. I have ceiling fans, each with two bulbs. It ended up being cheaper to buy the Hue white bulbs vs an Insteon switch for each fan. The only light bulb fixture in my house using a conventional LED bulb is the dining room fixture, which has 5 bulbs and is controlled by 2 switches.

It doesn’t really make any sense to install a FanLinc unless you want remote/automated control of the fan speed. Hues only offer adjustable lighting.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Smarthome Forum © 2000-2020 Smartlabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page