Talk About the Latest in Home Automation/Home Electronics -
Home Automation Forum

Smarthome Forum
Insteon Home Automation
Login or Register

Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Search | FAQ | Smarthome | Security and Privacy
 All Forums
 General Discussion
 Lighting and Appliance Control
 Smart wall switches w/ wireless - does this exist?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

frodofoehammer
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2019 :  11:46:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello,

I have been trying and failing to locate a product that may or may not exist.

I have a nice piece of artwork in my dining room that I'd like to highlight with a little spotlight or track light. The dining room has a single overhead lamp that's controlled by an old-fashioned on/off switch. I would like to, with a single press of a switch, turn on BOTH the overhead lamp AND the mini-spotlight for my artwork.

I know that the obvious thing to do is to run power to where I want the spotlight and have the same switch trigger both lights - however, this involves lots of cutting through drywall, running conduit, etc...lots of mess and expense!

The obvious solution is to use a remotely-triggered battery powered LED light. The downside to this is that this light must be turned on separately with a remote control - I want to turn on both lights with ONE press of a switch.

Is there anything like this that exists? A smart wall switch that can turn on old-fashioned hardwired lightbulbs AND trigger other lights somehow?

Tfitzpatri8
Administrator

USA
10803 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2019 :  10:04:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How close is the nearest wall outlet or switch? If you don’t have access to a crawl space above that room, it might be easier to fish wiring up the wall than across the ceiling. The wires don’t need a direct connection—so long as you have line voltage and neutrals at both locations, you could install Insteon devices at the switch location and behind the spot and electronically link them to turn on at the same time. That also means you won’t have to worry about changing batteries.
Go to Top of Page

frodofoehammer
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2019 :  2:58:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Which Insteon device were you specifically thinking of?

And nothing is too far from an outlet or wall switch - I'm just hoping to avoid digging through drywall and fishing stuff.
Go to Top of Page

oberkc

USA
4043 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2019 :  6:12:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you are able to, simply, run power to the location where you want the light, then you could put any of the insteon switches in the exiting switch location that you want to control the little spotlight, and put an insteon "micro-module" in the box containing the spotlight. The insteon switch would be wired to power the existing overhead lamp, just like it is now. Additionally, the insteon switch would be linked with the micromodule and control it just as if it were wired.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Smarthome Forum © 2000-2020 Smartlabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page