Talk About the Latest in Home Automation/Home Electronics -
Home Automation Forum

Smarthome Forum
Insteon Home Automation
Login or Register

Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Search | FAQ | Smarthome | Security and Privacy
 All Forums
 General Discussion
 Insteon
 Is insteon still a good choice?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

jamun99
Starting Member

10 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2019 :  05:23:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Want to automate my new house. But should i still go with insteon or what is good now?

Edited by - jamun99 on 09/23/2019 2:56:33 PM

oberkc

USA
3994 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2019 :  5:03:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If I were starting over, I would use the ISY-994 controller with insteon and z-wave.
Go to Top of Page

peter.cook001
Starting Member

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2019 :  09:22:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am very happy with the ISY-994 and z-wave. I like my z-wave thermostats and the option to add more z-wave if needed. I have the switches and modules from Insteon. Only real concern is if I sell the house but any system will likely be a challenge there. The ISY-994 works great but have no idea what a non technical person would do. Only suggestion looking back is to get bulk items when on sale. Could have saved a lot there.
Go to Top of Page

Doughboy
Starting Member

Canada
5 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2019 :  5:13:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Insteon is the best solution for DIY.
ISY994i is the best controller for Insteon.
ISY994i also supports Z-Wave with a Z-Wave module.

You can also integrate with Amazon Alexa or Google Home via ISY portal (small subscription fee eg. $30 for 2 years).

What ISY cannot do: HomeKit (unless you want to setup HomeBridge).
ISY is local first meaning that there is no reliance on cloud for it to operate.

A properly automated house should run itself... no need to mess around on your phone or an app except if you have to do something away from home like forget to turn a light off or something. Also setting everything up and maintaining via phone app I think is kinda silly.

But I am in same boat as peter... if I ever sold my house nobody would be able to figure out what I have done LOL. But nice thing about Insteon is all of my devices don't require a controller for scenes etc. so they probably wouldn't need to touch anything. I would probably remove everything first and put in standard switches (a big job, but I have thousands invested that would get $0 extra for selling home).

Go to Top of Page

Tfitzpatri8
Administrator

USA
10765 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2019 :  7:13:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It’s pretty common for people to personalize their space—homes are often filled with family photos, favorite trip souvenirs, eclectic furniture, etc. People who embrace home automation gear tend to personalize that as well, often adding cute custom scene names and automation routines that make sense to them but might put off potential buyers.

The key is staging. Just like you want to declutter, paint in neutral tones, remove extra furniture, and take down family pictures, you also want to depersonalize and stage smart home features. Labeled buttons that turn on all the exterior lights, put hallway and bath lights into ‘nightlight mode’, or activate an Away scene that turns off interior lights are features people quickly understand and appreciate, but you may want to remove timers and schedules and the ‘sexy time’ button that turns on the fireplace, starts a custom Sonos playlist and lowers the stripper pole!
Go to Top of Page

fahrvergnuugen
Starting Member

USA
10 Posts

Posted - 10/31/2019 :  10:27:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think so, yes - especially if you want a completely private (not cloud based) smart home integration.
The insteon model is much more future proof than a lot of the other smart devices that have come out if you ask me.

With insteon, I can make it work with homekit, google home, alexa, or whatever new solution comes out in 10 years. I am currently working on a complete open source controller for insteon as well so that you have control over it.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Smarthome Forum © 2000-2019 Smartlabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page