Talk About the Latest in Home Automation/Home Electronics -
Home Automation Forum

Smarthome Forum
Insteon Home Automation
Login or Register

Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Search | FAQ | Smarthome | Security and Privacy | Do Not Sell My Info
 All Forums
 General Discussion
 Speakers, A/V & Home Theater
 Distributed Audio Question
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Nigan
Starting Member

3 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2019 :  1:05:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello everyone,,
We recently moved into a new (to us) house that has a "distributed audio" system. It is configured for a home theater (wiring for rear speakers) in the living room -- we have a Sony Receiver (STR DE595, can select A or B or A&B speakers) and 5 Bose speakers at that location -- and there are left/right inputs for the "distributed audio." Those support 7 pairs of in-wall speakers throughout the house, each with individual volume controls (no on/off controls). Basically a "single zone" set-up. [Note, our last house was true distributed audio, configured for 3 separate multi-component systems, multi-zone with keypads in each zone to select component, volume, on/off -- much more than we ever used or even hooked up!]

The first issue we ran into was to hear anything from the in-wall speakers we had to turn the volume to the max in the home theater. Next, the receiver would overload even if we just turned on the B speakers (distributed speakers) -- understandable since the poor thing was trying to drive 14 speakers!

Solutions? Would a second receiver for the distributed speakers solve the problem (and connect components to both receivers with 'y' connections -- other components are TV, CD player and DVD player), or a new 2 zone receiver to drive the home theater plus the distributed side? Or do we need an amplifier on the distributed speakers to drive all the speakers?

Edited by - Nigan on 09/26/2019 11:37:58 AM

oberkc

USA
4094 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2019 :  5:16:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I assume that your seven pair are wired in parallel to each and, thus, your receiver is trying to drive seven speakers per side. Typical speakers are 8ohm resistance. Two speakers would be 4ohm. Three speakers would be 2.6 (approx.) ohms. It continues to get lower as you add more speakers. This is beyond the capability of the receiver (and most receivers), I suspect. No, I don't believe that two receivers can be joined together via Y-cable to provide more power. A separate amp for the seven pairs would fare no better. I do not know that I have ever seen an amp that could drive a load of seven speakers. I cannot think of solutions beyond breaking the seven speakers into smaller groups and providing an amp for each group, or driving each smaller group through a speaker selector device which maintains a sufficient load to the amplifier.

For the seven pairs of speakers, is there only a single set of wires, one set for left and one set for right?
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Smarthome Forum © 2000-2020 Smartlabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page