Talk About the Latest in Home Automation/Home Electronics -
Home Automation Forum

Smarthome Forum
Insteon Home Automation
Login or Register

Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Search | FAQ | Smarthome | Security and Privacy
 All Forums
 General Discussion
 Insteon
 Lights turn on at random - new firmware?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

kena
Average Member

150 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2019 :  04:18:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am an Insteon user since day one. This is my 3rd home with Insteon, but this problem is new. I have currently 67 devices installed.

About 3-4 weeks ago some lights started to turn on at random and I have not been able to track down what it is that triggers it.

I remember getting an email a few weeks back that the hub firmware was going to be updated. I do not know if/when that has happened. Is there a way that I can check if/when that update has happened to my hub?

SeanM
Administrator

USA
86 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2019 :  07:15:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For Hub Firmware details:

Go to settings, then tap on House. The Hub FW version will be towards the bottom.

For Hub application details:

Go to settings, then tap on About Insteon for Hub.
Go to Top of Page

cwhogan
Starting Member

10 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2019 :  07:26:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kena

I am an Insteon user since day one. This is my 3rd home with Insteon, but this problem is new. I have currently 67 devices installed.

About 3-4 weeks ago some lights started to turn on at random and I have not been able to track down what it is that triggers it.

I remember getting an email a few weeks back that the hub firmware was going to be updated. I do not know if/when that has happened. Is there a way that I can check if/when that update has happened to my hub?

Do you have Insteon motion sensors in the house? I've had issues when the batteries die in the motion sensors. Lights in the house magically turn on of off on their own. It doesn't matter that these devices were never associated with the sensor. The problem goes away when the battery are changed.

I've also had odd things like this happen when a Hub or PLM dies.
Go to Top of Page

kena
Average Member

150 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2019 :  9:31:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I finally figured out what the problem was.

I have a home in Sweden where I also have Insteon installed. There I have an Insteon scene called Dusk that will turn on some lights 30 min before sunset using Stringify. When I visited this summer, Stringify was discontinued so instead I setup an Alexa routine to turn on the Insteon Dusk scene before sunset, and it all worked fine over there.

Back in the US I also have a scene called Dusk, and my Alexa routine was still active, but since it was created when I was in Sweden it was still running 30 minutes before sunset in Sweden which is in the middle of the day here in USA. Since it was based on sunset it varied enough from day to day to make it seem random before I understood what was happening.

I have not done any more research into Alexa's sunset based timers, but it looks like they are based on the location you are in when the timer is created and not based on the location you are when they are executed.
Go to Top of Page

oberkc

USA
3994 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2019 :  03:59:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Does not your hub(s) have sunset timers? Why would you use stringify/alexa for something like that?
Go to Top of Page

kena
Average Member

150 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2019 :  03:05:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Both hubs have sunset timers, but I want most of my lights to come on 30 minutes before sunset, and the hub cannot do that. I have requested that feature for many years, and there is a rumor that they will finally add that to the new insteon software that is in beta testing now, I hope that is true.
Go to Top of Page

oberkc

USA
3994 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2019 :  03:30:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
and the hub cannot do that

I see. I was not sure if it was limited like this.

Which hub do you have. Apple homekit could be a solution if you have an appropriate apple device in the house and the right hub (is it the hub pro, or did they change names recently?).

I have, so far, found the echo to be very limited and am having trouble finding a good use case for them. It does not surprise me that you ran into a limitation like this.
Go to Top of Page

TinCan782

15 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2019 :  8:48:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kena

Both hubs have sunset timers, but I want most of my lights to come on 30 minutes before sunset, and the hub cannot do that. I have requested that feature for many years, and there is a rumor that they will finally add that to the new insteon software that is in beta testing now, I hope that is true.

"The beta app addresses some customer requests, too, like a sunrise/sunset offset to let you adjust when the sunrise- and sunset-triggered schedules actually occur."

https://www.thedigitalmediazone.com/2019/09/30/insteon-mobile-beta-shows-great-promise/

John
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Smarthome Forum © 2000-2019 Smartlabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page