Talk About the Latest in Home Automation/Home Electronics -
Home Automation Forum

Smarthome Forum
Insteon Home Automation
Login or Register

Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Search | FAQ | Smarthome | Security and Privacy
 All Forums
 General Discussion
 Insteon
 Living with Finished Plans: regrets and wins!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Dembe
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2019 :  06:24:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello everyone,,
I'm new to the forums and happy to be here! I'm very interested to see if any of you guys have completely done your home up Insteon tech and learn from your collective previous experience. If you've done your entire house with exterior, interior and security, I would be most appreciated if you could post up with some of the things you've learned from your experience. If you have any blog posts or related articles, please link those up. : ) Specific things I'm looking for feedback on:

-What controller did you select and was it robust enough for the whole house?
-What specific components are biggest convenience winners (Example: The motion detector by the mud room laundry, an in door sensor for the door by the basement steps, etc)
-If you could do it again, would you choose Insteon again or look at something else?

The reason I ask is right now I'm planning on building a home in the next few years and am sort of sorting through the different available home automation and distributed A/V technologies. I will have the opportunity to do it right and do it from the ground up in a skeleton house, so I'm very much interested in learning from completed projects that others have lived with for a while.

My wish list is:
-Lighting (w/smart motion intelligence)
-Security integration with a monitoring company (without 2x door sensors, window sensors)
-Apple Homekit integration
-Multi-zone Thermostat Integration
-Geo fencing option

What I'm struggling with is: will the homekit enabled hub be enough? I'm very much interested in the Siri based Homekit integration, but concerned that the little $150 controller won't have the kind of scene configuration and automation that the ISY series does. With the CES announcement that HomeKit will be available with a later version of the hub, this makes me both excited and nervous, as I'm not sure the hub will be able to do everything I want it to. Curious on your thoughts around this.

http://www.cnet.com/products/insteon-hub-with-homekit/

It sounds like it might be a nuance, but I'm also pretty concerned with occupancy sensing lighting. What I really want is to be able to very closely control motion/switch based lighting so that a light isn't annoyingly automatically shut off by one of the motion detector timeouts when it was flicked on by a switch.

For example: Say you have 3 motion detectors detecting occupancy in a big room with multiple sets of lights. I want to make sure that the lights are shut off only when there's no motion from ANY of the motion detectors after a specified period of time. Not sure I can do that with the current version of the hub.

Also, I'm not a huge fan of wireless motion detectors, since I'll likely be replacing batteries all the time with a large number of them.

Any generic advice from those who have build ground up would appreciated as well. Thanks all!

Edited by - Dembe on 09/30/2019 2:49:29 PM

oberkc

USA
3994 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2019 :  6:28:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dembe

-What controller did you select and was it robust enough for the whole house? ISY-994, yes.
-What specific components are biggest convenience winners (Example: The motion detector by the mud room laundry, an in door sensor for the door by the basement steps, etc) Lights on/off automatically (time/sunrise/sunset) and whole-house control in strategic locations
-If you could do it again, would you choose Insteon again or look at something else? Yes, along with z-wave

What I'm struggling with is: will the homekit enabled hub be enough? Probably not. I'm very much interested in the Siri based Homekit integration, but concerned that the little $150 controller won't have the kind of scene configuration and automation that the ISY series does. With the CES announcement that HomeKit will be available with a later version of the hub, this makes me both excited and nervous, as I'm not sure the hub will be able to do everything I want it to. Curious on your thoughts around this.

http://www.cnet.com/products/insteon-hub-with-homekit/

It sounds like it might be a nuance, but I'm also pretty concerned with occupancy sensing lighting. What I really want is to be able to very closely control motion/switch based lighting so that a light isn't annoyingly automatically shut off by one of the motion detector timeouts when it was flicked on by a switch. This probably exceeds the hub capability

For example: Say you have 3 motion detectors detecting occupancy in a big room with multiple sets of lights. I want to make sure that the lights are shut off only when there's no motion from ANY of the motion detectors after a specified period of time. Not sure I can do that with the current version of the hub. No

It sounds as if you have done your research. In my estimation, you are not going to get everything you want from the ISY-994 (lacks homekit integration) or the hub (not sufficiently powerful). Perhaps there is a software based solution (such as homeseer)...I am not sufficiently familiar with them to say with any level of confidence.

I see a common recommendation to integrate ISY with the Elk security system. This could solve some of your needs with wired sensors and avoiding duplicate sensors and such, along with monitoring.

Cannot comment on multi-zone HVAC

My experience with geo-fencing has been less than full success. Have been unable so far to determine failure points and spouse does not like the idea so I don't make a big effort to solve. With ISY, there are a lot of cooks in the kitchen, whether mobilinc, tasker, portals, internet, ..... Anyhow, mine works intermittently.
Go to Top of Page

Tfitzpatri8
Administrator

USA
10765 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2019 :  8:49:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Check in on the Universal Devices forum about combining HomeBridge with the ISY for HomeKit.
Go to Top of Page

Doughboy
Starting Member

Canada
5 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2019 :  5:28:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The HomeBridge solution works (I have it running for a couple years) but the person who made it has stopped supporting it. A couple others have forked it but I have never had any luck with those versions. I would not rely on it for the backbone of system with ISY.
I use HomeBridge/HomeKit just to do a things with Siri but it is not a big deal if I lost support for it.
A much better solution is to have Amazon Echo and use those for voice commands in different rooms - ISY fully supports this. This way everyone can use in the house and you can link devices in groups with a particular Echo so you can say "Alexa turn off the lights" and only those linked with that Echo which heard you will turn off. Since Echo's are $40 can put them all over house!

I have my ISY linked via a nodeserver app called ISYLink to my DSC alarm. I can use motion sensors from it in my programs - eg. if a motion sensor is on then turn on a light. It is simple to do a program in ISY to handle motion the way you ask... ISY programs are event driven and "reset" on events...

Here is a sample program from ISY that controls a garage light via a wireless Insteon sensor (it can be modified to add more Or's in If section for multiple motion sensors in a room:

Garage Motion - [ID 0021][Parent 0060][Not Enabled]

If
'Garage / Garage Motion-Sensor' is switched On
Or 'Garage / Garage Light' Status is On

Then
Set 'Garage / Garage Light' On
Wait 15 minutes
Set 'Garage / Garage Light' Off

Else
- No Actions - (To add one, press 'Action')

Turn off light if no Motion detected after 15 minutes.
By Or Status of Garage it is also triggered to shut off if the light is turned on elsewhere eg. from program, local or remotely.
ISY re-runs program each time it is triggered. So lights will turn off if no motion is detected for 15 minutes.
Because ISY programs are event driven, only triggers the one time on status change.

So like I said, you could just keep adding motion sensors or events like this and light will stay on as long as motion is detected by one of the 5 sensors (or manually) and turns off after 15 minutes of no motion detected...
If
'Garage / Garage Motion-Sensor_1' is switched On
Or 'Garage / Garage Motion_Sensor_2' is switched On
Or 'Garage / Garage Motion_Sensor_3' is switched On
Or 'Garage / Garage Motion_Sensor_4' is switched On
Or 'Garage / Garage Motion_Sensor_5' is switched On
Or 'Garage / Garage Light' Status is On

It took me a while to get my head around how ISY programs work but turns out they are very powerful.

Edited by - Doughboy on 10/25/2019 5:35:09 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Smarthome Forum © 2000-2019 Smartlabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page