Talk About the Latest in Home Automation/Home Electronics -
Home Automation Forum

Smarthome Forum
Insteon Home Automation
Login or Register

Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Search | FAQ | Smarthome | Security and Privacy
 All Forums
 General Discussion
 Insteon
 Insteon integration with Carrier Infinity system
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Gabrialkhan
Starting Member

4 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2019 :  11:35:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello everyone,,
I have a Carrier Infinity system with its absurdly overpriced, archaic remote "capability." Carrier has not moved to improve this in the 2 years since my system was installed, but I didn't have any alternative to the products Carrier offers.

I see that the INSTEON hub is compatible with this system, but I don't understand which pieces of INSTEON hardware I would need to take total control of my equipment without routing through the Carrier network. Would I need to replace the thermostats themselves, or can I use an INSTEON hub to communicate with the modem/control unit that came with my system?
BTW I have 5 zones, 3 furnaces and 2 AC units in this system.
I am NOT a programmer and my understanding about how this works is not deep, but I'm eager to figure this out. Thanks.

Edited by - Gabrialkhan on 10/08/2019 10:41:35 PM

oberkc

USA
4009 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2019 :  03:54:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I expect that you would need to replace the thermostats. The hub communicates directly with other insteon devices and not much else. The thermostats would need to be insteon compatible. It is a near-certainty that the hub can not speak directly to your control unit.

The risk, in my mind, is whether insteon thermostats are compatible with your HVAC system. Are the existing thermostats unique to that modem/control unit?

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Smarthome Forum © 2000-2019 Smartlabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page