Talk About the Latest in Home Automation/Home Electronics -
Home Automation Forum

Smarthome Forum
Insteon Home Automation
Login or Register

Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Search | FAQ | Smarthome | Security and Privacy | Do Not Sell My Info
 All Forums
 General Discussion
 Thermostats & HVAC Control
 Ecobee4 Wiring
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

facecard
Starting Member

10 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2019 :  07:47:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a question about the wiring. I have a Peerless oil burner and I am going to be using Ecobee4 thermostat to control it. I haven't installed the thermostat yet.

Downstairs- RH (white) and W/B (Black) wire.

Upstairs- RC jump RH (Red). RH (Yellow). Y/O (Black). W/B (Black) wire

I am not sure what W/B wire is and what Y/O is. The instructions don't have these wires listed and the backplate doesn't have these letters on it. The existing thermostat works just fine with these wires but I am not sure the purpose of them.

Thanks.

BLH
Advanced Member

6168 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2019 :  03:21:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You may find more information on the Ecobee web site. Ecobee4 section. There are helpful pages on things like connections and how to identify signals.
https://www.ecobee.com/installing-your-ecobee4/

Download the full manual from the site. Then look at the Guide 2 section. You do not have a C connection mentioned in your post. The unit needs a C connection for power or a Power Extender Kit if your original thermostat did not use C or have a spare wire connected to C on the furnace end. They do make a Power Extender Kit (PEK) you maybe able to use. Depending on how many wires you have from the furnace to the thermostats location.

Edited by - BLH on 10/12/2019 03:38:22 AM
Go to Top of Page

BLH
Advanced Member

6168 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2019 :  10:56:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Do you have the part number for the thermostat you are replacing? That may give us information on what their terminals are used for.

Is their possibly a control board or connection box between the thermostat location and the downstairs. Since the Yellow RH does not seem to be used anywhere in the downstairs connection information you provided.

Maybe a system with more than one Zone and a Zone Controller?

Edited by - BLH on 10/12/2019 11:13:09 AM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Smarthome Forum © 2000-2020 Smartlabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page