Talk About the Latest in Home Automation/Home Electronics -
Home Automation Forum

Smarthome Forum
Insteon Home Automation
Login or Register

Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Search | FAQ | Smarthome | Security and Privacy | Do Not Sell My Info
 All Forums
 General Discussion
 Thermostats & HVAC Control
 OLD heater 2-wire thermostat would like multiple r
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

NoBodyHeat
Starting Member

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2019 :  10:18:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Apologies from the new-b. We have a Biltwell gravity heater (circa 1937), i.e. ducts to rooms; no fan; gravity air return. We live in the SF bay area so winter is mostly a bit damper/colder than summer. The house is insulated so there is no great reason (I can see) to replacing the heater. The prior owners replaced the manifold and on/off controls with modern ones.

The thermostat is an ITT CAT. NO. T80BV100J "...For use with millivolt 12 VDC at .060 amps / 24 VAC at .060 amps circuits only". The transformer is somewhere in the attic and also controls our door bells - long chimes and relay that goes "ding dong".

Soo, I would like to replace the thermostat with something smarter, e.g. Ecobee 3/4. We use the Google Home hub with 2 remotes currently controlling 7 switches and a fan.

My thoughts are that we have 2 rooms where we would like remote temp sensors, LR and den, so why not put the furnace thermostat in the cellar and control it with the sensors in rooms we use.

I would patch over the thermostat hole in the hall (connecting the thermostat wires and removing the old thermostat. That way I only need to run a C-wire to the thermostat in the cellar from the cellar wiring.

Does this make any sense or should I just continue with my software career?
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Smarthome Forum © 2000-2020 Smartlabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page