Talk About the Latest in Home Automation/Home Electronics -
Home Automation Forum

Smarthome Forum
Insteon Home Automation
Login or Register

Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Search | FAQ | Smarthome | Security and Privacy | Do Not Sell My Info
 All Forums
 General Discussion
 Insteon
 Any update on the new Insteon app?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

vasilemj
Average Member

62 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2019 :  11:11:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Does anyone have any insight on where the new Insteon app is and what the release date could potentially be? The new CEO got us all excited with his email this past spring but here we are in October and it's been radio silence since then.

kdjerred
Average Member

USA
76 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2019 :  9:00:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here’s a recent article. Looking forward to it. https://www.thedigitalmediazone.com/2019/09/30/insteon-mobile-beta-shows-great-promise/
Go to Top of Page

vasilemj
Average Member

62 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2019 :  11:27:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for passing along!
Go to Top of Page

FloridaGary
Average Member

USA
132 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2020 :  4:08:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here we are almost 4 months after the above article released and still nothing on the new app. Have I missed anything?

Let there be light!
Go to Top of Page

jackman

209 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2020 :  7:36:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've been wondering too!
Go to Top of Page

BLH
Advanced Member

6157 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2020 :  04:10:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have not seen any information here,the Insteon forums or any other automation related web sites.
Go to Top of Page

Svengoolie

USA
18 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2020 :  10:13:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Okay, where's the new app? This is ridiculous. I will not be buying more products from Insteon. The current app definitely has it's issues. I received the e-mail about this great new app coming in the summer of 2019 and still nothing. Everything has been hush for quite sometime now. No news or anything as of late. What gives?
Go to Top of Page

lilyoyo1

330 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2020 :  3:59:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Welcome to the world of electronics. I'm sure they are doing extensive testing. The only thing worse than not announcing release dates is releasing buggy software.

Alot of companies will sometimes announce new features are coming to keep users informed. Unfortunately this makes the unaware excited for it not realizing it could be some time away. I'm sure they could push their app now but if it's not ready for prime-time, everyone will be on here yelling about how much it sucks. It's better to get it right the first time than later.

Edited by - lilyoyo1 on 02/04/2020 4:02:17 PM
Go to Top of Page

kdjerred
Average Member

USA
76 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2020 :  10:26:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree! I don’t know if you guys got the Holidays pic from the Insteon team, but they looked like a great group of people behind a company trying to put out the best product possible and releasing an inferior app would not be acceptable. I’m making do with what’s available and looking forward to something exceptional!
Go to Top of Page

diggen
Starting Member

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2020 :  1:47:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit diggen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I agree with all of you: Patience must be (and is) a virtue
But what I strongly disagree with, is that they don't communicate at all (neither officially, nor unofficially ! ! !)
When you are a major company in the SmartHome Industry
When you are on such a major project & release
When you are late on your expected schedule
When you have such a huge community of and users
When everybody is looking at you closely, and waiting for you....
You could at least communicate, give some clues, small info, explain small little things, tease at least a little bit...
Short story long, they are very bad in communication, marketing, and teasing !
And that's very disappointing !

Edited by - diggen on 02/13/2020 1:47:51 PM
Go to Top of Page

lilyoyo1

330 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2020 :  2:30:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
All your questions are why companies generally do not give time tables. Regardless of size, they owe no-one an explanation.

They have teased some things about it since such as this article:

https://www.thedigitalmediazone.com/2019/09/30/insteon-mobile-beta-shows-great-promise/

Insteon is essentially taking what is a 6 year old cheap product and breathing new life into it. Most companies doing what they are attempting to do would simply release a brand new product, raise the price since it's "better" expecting users to upgrade. Instead, everyone is getting a new system for free.

As the old saying goes, you can have fast, cheap, or good. You can get 2 of the 3 but not all 3. Since this new app is free and the hub is cheap, you've gotta settle for slow in order for it to be good.
Go to Top of Page

ralphie

USA
39 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2020 :  4:59:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just got the notification about the new Insteon App. I saw the list of what they are not supposed to support any more

Cameras of which I have three but I have another app for that so okay
Thermostat -- I have that one
Smoke Bridge I have that one
Door Lock I have that one

I am hoping they change their mind and still support those or else I will be using the older version for now but what the heck????

You can not change the past, but you can influence the future
Go to Top of Page

ralphie

USA
39 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2020 :  5:17:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just checked and some of the devices that are not supposed to be supported in the new app are still being sold on their website

Go to Top of Page

lilyoyo1

330 Posts

Posted - 02/29/2020 :  08:33:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ralphie

I just checked and some of the devices that are not supposed to be supported in the new app are still being sold on their website

The hub isn't the only system out there. Other systems still support those products so selling them is not an issue. It only becomes an issue should they advertise that they work with the new app.

Being that it's in beta, not everyone will have access to the new app. Unless the so selling those products, I do hope they do provide support for those that they still sell. Discontinued products such as the door lock, I do not believe the need to support.
Go to Top of Page

sutphinwb

48 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2020 :  12:54:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have it installed on an old phone. It's a bit of a disappointment. I have quite a few older devices I don't see.

I wish they'd open source the thing. Are they afraid some will build a better application? Too late for that! If I had the source, I'd spend a ton of time making it better. For free. I pay for HCA to get the device management Insteon app lacks.
Go to Top of Page

ralphie

USA
39 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2020 :  07:49:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"It's a bit of a disappointment. I have quite a few older devices I don't see."

As of now, I am thinking I may still use the old App

Go to Top of Page

lakeguy
Average Member

USA
71 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2020 :  2:05:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't see that we have much choice. There is so much functionality missing from the new app you are forced to remain on the old.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Smarthome Forum © 2000-2020 Smartlabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page