Talk About the Latest in Home Automation/Home Electronics -
Home Automation Forum

Smarthome Forum
Insteon Home Automation
Login or Register
 
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Search | FAQ | Smarthome | Security and Privacy
 All Forums
 General Discussion
 Lighting and Appliance Control
 Hotpoint microwave blows fuse after hitting start
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Leozumi
Starting Member

1 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2019 :  2:14:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey everyone,
I was cooking a spaghetti squash. Set it for 10 minutes came back to microwave shut off. I thought it might be due to putting a big glass pan in there and burning out the turntable motor. I checked the fuse and it was blown. Got a new one. Awesome comes on, but once you actually start to cook it blows the fuse again. I saw a post about checking the door switches. I tested with a multimeter and they look ok. Is there something else i can look for? Thanks in advance!

BLH
Advanced Member

6110 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2019 :  3:45:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Be very careful inside a microwave oven.
The Magnatron tube runs on a very high voltage and usually has a high voltage capacitor in its power supply. It could injure you if the capacitor is holding a high voltage charge or you try readings with it trying to power on.

Did you use the same type of fuse? The original fuse maybe a slow blow. To allow for the initial current surge when it powers up. The replacement should be the same current rating, voltage and normal or slow blow, depending on what the original one was.

It may have a power supply or Magnatron tube issue that you could not safely troubleshoot if you are not experienced.

Have you done a web search maybe for its model number and see if others have found some typical causes for that model?

Edited by - BLH on 10/26/2019 4:27:24 PM
Go to Top of Page

oberkc
Moderator

USA
4043 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2019 :  4:24:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would also confirm what else, if anything, is on the circuit protected by this fuse. Is it possible that there is a recently installed device drawing enough current, when added to that of the microwave, causes the power to exceed that which your circuit can provide?

I have a handy gadget (called a “killawatt”) which measures current consumed by a plug-in load or appliance. You might try one of those to get a sense of whether your microwave is drawing a lot of power. I had this in one of my rental properties, where (for whatever reason) the microwave was drawing over 20 amps. I replaced it and all is well.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Smarthome Forum © 2000-2020 Smartlabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page
Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07