Talk About the Latest in Home Automation/Home Electronics -
Home Automation Forum

Smarthome Forum
Insteon Home Automation
Login or Register

Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Search | FAQ | Smarthome | Security and Privacy | Do Not Sell My Info
 All Forums
 General Discussion
 Lighting and Appliance Control
 Bathroom lighting via motion sensor
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Armymutt
Starting Member

12 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2019 :  05:53:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm trying to figure out how to set up some bathroom lighting. My desired outcome is that the light comes on at about 10% when activated by motion between the hours of 11PM and 5AM. I have an Insteon hub, motion sensor, and micro dimmer modules. I suppose I could put in an Insteon multibutton switch, but I'd rather be able to stumble into the bathroom and the light come on rather than accidentally hit the wrong button.

The big question is, can the Insteon hub handle this? I also have Alexa, which we use for all of our voice control. Do I need to step up to the ISY in order to accomplish this? I'll admit that the coding part makes me nervous.

Tfitzpatri8
Administrator

USA
10829 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2019 :  08:38:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Hub doesn’t offer any conditional logic, so it can’t decide that it is going to act differently in response to a signal it receives at 9 PM vs. one it gets at 11 PM. You can do this with an ISY, or possibly with a web service.

That said, why not just create a scene triggered by the motion sensor that turns on to 10%? Any time you want more light, just tap or touch and hold the paddle to adjust to a brighter level.
Go to Top of Page

Armymutt
Starting Member

12 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2019 :  05:06:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I suppose that would work as well. It's not ideal, but I'd hate to spend the money on the ISY to accomplish that one task. I'm trying to come up with other things I'd use it for.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Smarthome Forum © 2000-2020 Smartlabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page