Talk About the Latest in Home Automation/Home Electronics -
Home Automation Forum

Smarthome Forum
Insteon Home Automation
Login or Register

Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Search | FAQ | Smarthome | Security and Privacy | Do Not Sell My Info
 All Forums
 General Discussion
 Lighting and Appliance Control
 Smart Switches with wall-mount Remote Controls
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

goe68
Starting Member

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2019 :  3:14:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am looking for a smart switch that has an optional wall-mount remote control switch. Ideally, the remote switch looks just like a normal decora switch and can be wall mounted with a faceplate such that it looks like a normal "dumb" switch to a casual observer. The idea is to create the illusion of a 3-way switch in an area where there is only a single switch.
So far, I've only found:

Lutron Caseta - The remote is also a dimmer, which I don't need. The remote doesn't look like a regular switch at all, so it won't create the 3-way illusion.

Insteon - The mini-remote seems to be much smaller than a normal switch, so again it will stand out from a regular switch. I didn't find a regular switch-sized remote.

Are there any other alternatives? I'd also be interested in any Wi-Fi options, even if it means that it's a handheld rechargeable remote instead of wall-mount, and I have to give up on the 3-way illusion, in case I decide to go Wi-Fi instead of the Z-wave options above.

Tfitzpatri8
Administrator

USA
10829 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2019 :  4:11:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Insteon Mini Remote is actually the same size as a regular decora paddle. Combine it with a wall mount and a standard faceplate and it’ll match the look of the SwitchLinc on the opposite wall.
Go to Top of Page

goe68
Starting Member

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2019 :  09:48:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, good to know. The use of the word "mini" and the size specs threw me off: 2.6" for the mini switch and 4.1" for the smart switch, on the smarthome product pages. I just measured a regular decora paddle and it is indeed about 2.6".
Go to Top of Page

BLH
Advanced Member

6157 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2019 :  3:30:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
One thing to remember.
The wall mount is not designed to fit over a single gang electrical box. It is designed to be mounted with a solid wall as its mounting surface.

Edited by - BLH on 11/17/2019 3:32:50 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Smarthome Forum © 2000-2020 Smartlabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page