Talk About the Latest in Home Automation/Home Electronics -
Home Automation Forum

Smarthome Forum
Insteon Home Automation
Login or Register

Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Search | FAQ | Smarthome | Security and Privacy | Do Not Sell My Info
 All Forums
 General Discussion
 Insteon
 Issue with subpanel + GFI Outlet + Garden lights
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

lunchegg382
Average Member

67 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2019 :  3:41:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In my main electric panel I have a breaker for a sub-panel. That sub-panel is connected by approx 40-80 feet of wiring in an underground conduit.

On the sub-panel there is a 2477SA1 for a sprinkler pump, as well as a 2475SDB dual band inline linc for pool lights. Each with a dedicated breaker. In addition there is another breaker connected to a GFI outlet and the only thing plugged into that is a low voltage transformer for garden lights.

The issue is when the breaker for the GFI is on and the garden lights are on the 2475SDB can not be controlled and the ISY reports that it is not responding. Can't comment on the 2477SA1 because that device has always been flaky (and now discontinued, surprise!)

What would be the best way to resolve this to ensure that communications with the 2475SDB is always reliable?

Another thing to note is right above the subpanel I have a dual band micro dimmer for a spotlight wired to the main panel. You would think that this would the inlinelinc to function via wireless despite any interference on the electrical lines. I can communicate with the micro dimmer with hops left = 3 per the ISY logs.

BLH
Advanced Member

6308 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2019 :  03:23:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
RF distance can be effected by anything between the two modules or if they are in metal electrical boxes. It is possible the RF just can't communicate between the two modules.

Is the low voltage supply a transformer or is it one of the more modern supplies with electronics in it?

Check you Dual Band modules manuals. For the builtin communications test. That shows if the modules are communicating by RF and if on the same or opposite phase of the home. Maybe called the 4 Tap Test or Beacon Test. Some models need you to follow a flow chart of Set Button pushes and LED flash patterns. Others just tap the Set Button 4 times and then observe the LED flashing pattern on other Dual Band modules.

Edited by - BLH on 11/17/2019 06:25:08 AM
Go to Top of Page

lunchegg382
Average Member

67 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2019 :  08:26:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
RF question was just pondering.

If the GFI outlet OR garden lights (I did not isolate these) is causing the signal issue through powerline, how can I solve that?
Go to Top of Page

oberkc

USA
4159 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2019 :  08:45:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have heard of gfci outlets cauisng problems, but only ig trying to communicate through them. It did not sound like you had this situation. Solution seems to be to try a different brand.

If transformer, try putting on a filter.
Go to Top of Page

lunchegg382
Average Member

67 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2019 :  7:02:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And now the issue is no longer reproducible.

But still the pool light does not turn on with the scene, but when I notice this I go on and turn the light manually no issues.

I have 1 scene to control all the outdoor lighting and 1 device is not working. Last time this happened I went in and reprogrammed the device and it worked for a while.
Go to Top of Page

oberkc

USA
4159 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2019 :  03:37:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Have you tried any of the advice given so far?

If everything works when the garden lights are off (or unplugged), but not (or sporadically) when the garden lights are on, I would tend to consider the garden lights as the primary suspect. Try putting it on a filter.
Go to Top of Page

Eleganes
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2021 :  11:48:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is the low voltage source a transformer or one of the most advanced power supplies with electronics?
Read the manuals for the Dual Band modules. For a built-in communication test. This shows if the modules are exchanging RF and if they are in the same or opposite house phase. It may be called a 4-touch test or a beacon test. Some models require you to follow a block diagram of Set button presses and LED blink patterns. Others press the Set button four times and then watch the LED blink on the other dual-band modules.

Edited by - Eleganes on 06/02/2021 05:13:04 AM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Smarthome Forum © 2000-2020 Smartlabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page