Talk About the Latest in Home Automation/Home Electronics -
Home Automation Forum

Smarthome Forum
Insteon Home Automation
Login or Register

Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Search | FAQ | Smarthome | Security and Privacy | Do Not Sell My Info
 All Forums
 General Discussion
 Security
 Door Closer
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

TFS
Starting Member

1 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2019 :  06:41:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It seems to me that the COMMERCIAL side of Smart Home Automation has not got it’s head around the fact that there is no point in LOCKING a door unless it is closed.

I want to be able to tell Google home to “Close the back door” and have SOMETHING trigger a movement which I can use to start a mechanical door closer. A SLAM BOLT lock will ensure that once the door is closed then it is locked. I could activate a MAINS WiFi switch, but it needs to automatically turn off again a few seconds afterrwards.

I cannot find ANY (sensibly priced) commercial products that can close a normal door, or even allow me to fit a spring closer, and door holdback, and REMOTELY release the door holdback. A falling wieght and a pulley would close a door, but I need to start the weight dropping.

The closest thing I have found is grenhouse vent motors, but they are £50 plus. The only othe commercial products that seem to be widely available are Garage Door Openers and closers. But at £200 PLUS, it is complete overkill.

I can make a several different designs of door closing mechanism from the scrap - I just cannot find anything to trigger even a 10mm movement of a lever to set the mechanism going.

Any thoughts please…
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Smarthome Forum © 2000-2020 Smartlabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page