Talk About the Latest in Home Automation/Home Electronics -
Home Automation Forum

Smarthome Forum
Insteon Home Automation
Login or Register

Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Search | FAQ | Smarthome | Security and Privacy | Do Not Sell My Info
 All Forums
 General Discussion
 Surveillance
 Purchasing and install second hand Vivint Cameras
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

jdguth
Starting Member

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2019 :  11:43:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello everyone. I'm brand spanking new to the forum and found this place in my quest to get answers to the topic in the subject of this post.

Based on my search here and not finding anything related to my question I decided to make a new post. This seems like a place that shy's away from subscribing to services like Vivint and shows preference to a more DIY approach. And while I can respect that approach and even long for the day to maybe do that I'm not really in that place yet.

With that out of the way, on to the reason I'm here.

I've been a Vivint "subscriber" for almost 5 years now. I've been happy with the service and don't plan to leave but we're in a place where we need to add some hardware to our existing system. I contacted Vivint and to make a long 30 minute convo very short I was essentially presented with lowering my monthly monitoring bill to $50/month and adding 3 pieces of hardware and paying for them over 60 months. This would bring my total monthly bill to about $5 more than I pay now but I'd get the most recent panel, Outdoor Camera Pro, and Doorbell Camera, with the latter two being the sole reason I called. They said I needed the newer panel for the newer hardware to work. My concern, and it's a big one, is that if you take each of these 3 units prices per month and extrapolate that over 60 months the prices are INSANE! We're talking $400 for each the new panel and outdoor camera and $250 for the doorbell camera.

I did what I always do and checked places like eBay and Amazon for prices on new and used equipment and the prices were WAYYY cheaper if purchased just outright.

So here's what I need to know:

A) Does anyone know FOR SURE that the new doorbell camera and outdoor camera pro NEED the newest fancy panel? I have whatever the newest was just two years ago when I moved into my current home, they SkyControl Panel. They're saying I need the Smart Hub.
B) The person I spoke to at Vivint almost point blank said used equipment can't be used. That has to be horse crap because then there'd be no market for them. But I was also informed that they charge $5/month to monitor each camera. That I didn't know and is another notch in the belt for a DIY approach. So the question, can second hand equipment work and does so like brand new equipment, as far as installation goes? Would those pieces of equipment not show up in the iOS app unless I contact Vivint and have them add the monitoring service? Orrrr......
Maybe there's some other option I'm not aware of.

Thank you.

Edited by - jdguth on 12/19/2019 11:54:38 AM
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Smarthome Forum © 2000-2020 Smartlabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page