Talk About the Latest in Home Automation/Home Electronics -
Home Automation Forum

Smarthome Forum
Insteon Home Automation
Login or Register

Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Search | FAQ | Smarthome | Security and Privacy | Do Not Sell My Info
 All Forums
 General Discussion
 Energy Saving Solutions
 Smart switch with Automatic timer
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

tmcdanel
Starting Member

3 Posts

Posted - 12/25/2019 :  7:50:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I want a fan and some lights to automatically turn off after a set time (30 or 60 minutes). I would assume this is more about software. But i am not certain what switches to buy and what software to control them.

For example i have a bathroom fan that i want to shut off automatically after about 30 minutes. I tried a "Minostron" switch that works with SmartThings but it turned out to be Chinese crap, that sometimes locks on and often goes offline (20 ft from router).

What switch should i buy?
What software to set it up on?

iphone & Macbook
SmartThings hub
Feit switches & bulbs
Kasa switch

oberkc

USA
4092 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2019 :  04:08:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Turn off after a set time? Starting when? Are you talking about a simple timer where a person presses a button to turn them on, having them turn off automatically after a set period? I see these types of timers at home improvement stores. I have a couple at my house, and I think the brand name is "Woods" electric.
Go to Top of Page

tmcdanel
Starting Member

3 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2019 :  07:49:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by oberkc

Turn off after a set time? Starting when? Are you talking about a simple timer where a person presses a button to turn them on, having them turn off automatically after a set period? I see these types of timers at home improvement stores. I have a couple at my house, and I think the brand name is "Woods" electric.

Yes. When some one turns on the fan, it should only stay on for 30 minutes or so, doing its job of changing the air, then shut off to save electricity. But we want to be able to control it remotely. My wife is a light sleeper, the fan being on sometimes wakes her, and she wants to turn it off remotely.

Most smart-switch software have manual timers. The user can set the app to turn it off or on with a timer. Kasa even has a scheduler, that turns things off and on daily. But we want an automated timer that always turns the device off after a predetermined time. As you say, this can be done with a mechanical clock timer, but not remotely.

Programmatically, this is a simple, common task, but even with all the smart switches out there, i cannot find either the software nor the accompanying hardware that does this.
Go to Top of Page

oberkc

USA
4092 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2019 :  1:21:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I use the ISY994 controller with insteon an zwave switches and other devices. Certainly it could accomplish what you seek. I would need to confirm this, but I think apple homekit could do this as well.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Smarthome Forum © 2000-2020 Smartlabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page