Talk About the Latest in Home Automation/Home Electronics -
Home Automation Forum

Smarthome Forum
Insteon Home Automation
Login or Register

Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Search | FAQ | Smarthome | Security and Privacy | Do Not Sell My Info
 All Forums
 General Discussion
 Lighting and Appliance Control
 Lamp Modules How to Test or Rejuvenate?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Daddyo
Starting Member

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2019 :  5:56:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a Smart Home system for over 20 years and works nearly flawlessly(maybee once a month I will have a hiccup).

I have extra lamp modules stored in my closet that I wanted to add a 1 lamp to. Needless to say could not get this or any of the modules i had stored to "click" on or off. I purchased a new module and this too does not work on ANY UNIT number with my house code. I also tried to use a existing working unit number and the original module went on/off but the new one I added does not.

Of course I move a working Lamp module and plug it into the same outlet that the others would not work in, and it responds perfectly with the remote.

So by these modules sitting around for 20 years NOT USED (in air conditioned and heated house) simply freeze up? Is there any way to "wake these things up" or test/tell if they are truly bad?

Tfitzpatri8
Administrator

USA
10829 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2019 :  7:22:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
X10 modules come in two varieties. Relay modules make a ‘clunk’ sound when they switch between on/off; dimmers are silent, but can only be used with dimmable loads. Which are you trying to use?

In either case, the first step to troubleshoot is probably to rotate both the house and unit dials back and forth a few times to clean the contacts.
Go to Top of Page

Daddyo
Starting Member

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2019 :  8:15:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have LM465 Modules. I just rotated the dials on all 3 modules like a washing machine(back and forth) set to house code and unit code. Unit is stuck in ON position. I initially had a lamp with 60 watt bulb that stays lit when I connect it to the LM465 will not turn off. When testing the faulty LM465's in different outlets I do not have anything plugged into it, I am listing for the click.
Go to Top of Page

Tfitzpatri8
Administrator

USA
10829 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2019 :  8:37:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
LM465 is a dimmer, so it operates silently. Are you using a plug-in controller? You might try setting the controller to m1 and retesting, I believe that’s the address they default to if the contacts are dirty or broken.
Go to Top of Page

BLH
Advanced Member

6156 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2019 :  03:19:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
M13 is the no code wheel address. You may want to try.

What kind of load is on the problem module? That age of LM465 has Local Control Sensing. If the load is not incandescent but maybe dimmable LED. Some can trigger the LM465 to turn On. Where if it was turned Off and you turned the lamps local switch. From On to Off and back On. The light would turn on with out an X10 On command to its address.

If it is always On and can't be controlled. It may have some failed electronics.
Go to Top of Page

Daddyo
Starting Member

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2020 :  07:28:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Guys thanks for your help. I ordered another new LM465 and this one works. So simply the ones I had are bad. Guess noting last forever unplugged in it's original box, in a closet. Although I have a appliance module in the damp/humid crawl space of my house that turns on and off my house lights daily for past 20 years, that still works flawlessly. Go figure.. Thanks again for your time and assistance.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Smarthome Forum © 2000-2020 Smartlabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page