Talk About the Latest in Home Automation/Home Electronics -
Home Automation Forum

Smarthome Forum
Insteon Home Automation
Login or Register

Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Search | FAQ | Smarthome | Security and Privacy | Do Not Sell My Info
 All Forums
 General Discussion
 Lighting and Appliance Control
 Best solution for my setup?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

GatorsUF
Starting Member

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2020 :  08:31:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, I am new to the smart lighting arena. I used to be an electrician so my immediate thought with smart lights was if I flip the switch on the wall my smart bulbs are useles...so obviously I need smart switches and smart bulbs or just smart switches.

I want RGB bulbs so I'm leaning towards bulbs and switches, my concern is that videos on Youtube make it seems way too complex and my wife will not be happy with a complex solution to turning thel lights on in the living room.

What do you suggest for this setup:

I'm leaning towards these bulbs: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07H9HKLFR/ref=ox_sc_act_image_1?smid=A3BPF041NZ0LEY&psc=1

I have a SmartThings Link and a bunch of Google Homes.

oberkc

USA
4094 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2020 :  1:06:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I do not recall having seen color changing bulbs that were not “smart”. Given this, I believe your solution would include both smart switches and bulbs.
Go to Top of Page

Tfitzpatri8
Administrator

USA
10829 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2020 :  4:31:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Your immediate thought was accurate. With smart bulbs, you ordinarily want to wire the fixtures for always-on power, that frees up the wire pair going to the wall switch(es) to carry unswitched hot and neutral to power a smart controller.

There aren’t a lot of great options yet for wall controllers that manage color bulbs. The little controller buttons tend to activate one or more scenes, depending on the number or pattern of taps. Hue does something clever that you could emulate with the SmartThings hub—you could use a simple controller then set up programs that trigger a different scene (with different colors or brightness) when that controller is tapped depending on the time of day.

For full control of RGB lighting, you’d need to use a pricier solution. For touch control, you could wall-mount a tablet or cell phone or iPod touch set up to display the SmartThings interface, or you could use one of these: https://www.brilliant.tech . You can also use voice control, but sometimes it’s handier to just touch something at the entrance to a room.
Go to Top of Page

GatorsUF
Starting Member

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2020 :  06:03:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the tips, it seems the RBG idea might not be worth the hassle. I see there is a guy on Youtube that has Sylvania RGB bulbs in his kitchen and he uses an Innovelli switch, however he also has to download drivers and setup some code on an online program to get everything working properly. Seems like a pain in the butt....maybe I'll just stick with dumb LED lights and smart switches.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Smarthome Forum © 2000-2020 Smartlabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page