Talk About the Latest in Home Automation/Home Electronics -
Home Automation Forum

Smarthome Forum
Insteon Home Automation
Login or Register

Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Search | FAQ | Smarthome | Security and Privacy | Do Not Sell My Info
 All Forums
 General Discussion
 Lighting and Appliance Control
 Home Wiring, 3 & 4 way Switches
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Hkinkade
Starting Member

3 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2020 :  10:18:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I’m building a custom home and have researched some home automation switches, Lutron dimmer with remote pico switch. I’m tempted to reduce wiring cost by doing only one direct wired switch and adding pico switches instead of 3 or 4 way hardwired switches. Seems it would reduce wiring cost significantly and still accomplish the same thing. My worry is reliability. Most home automation is based on existing wiring, but with new build I’m thinking traditional wiring of 4 and 3 way switches isn’t the best solution anymore. Any thoughts and perspectives are welcome. Thanks

oberkc

USA
4094 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2020 :  03:40:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would be less concerned with reliability and more concerned with the possibility that you may, someday, want to revert to "standard" devices. What happens if your favorite switch fails and ceases to be available? Selling the house?

Does this really save much money? One must run power to all switch locations. It seems to me that the difference in wiring costs would be not much more than the difference in cost between three-conductor wire and two-conductor wire. Is this really significant?

Despite all that, I would be very tempted to do the same thing.

Edited by - oberkc on 01/03/2020 03:52:19 AM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Smarthome Forum © 2000-2020 Smartlabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page