Talk About the Latest in Home Automation/Home Electronics -
Home Automation Forum

Smarthome Forum
Insteon Home Automation
Login or Register

Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Search | FAQ | Smarthome | Security and Privacy | Do Not Sell My Info
 All Forums
 General Discussion
 Thermostats & HVAC Control
 Smart thermostat for multiple systems
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Bouchehog
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2020 :  02:21:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi there. I recently moved into a new house and the heating system is unwieldy. There are six separate elements to control:
  1. The central heating boiler heating various radiators

2. Underfloor heating in half of the ground floor

3. Underfloor heating and an electric heated towel rail in the main bathroom

4. Underfloor heating and an electric heated towel rail in the en suite bathroom

I would ultimately like to bring the control of all of the above under one roof with a single controller (whether this is some physical unit or an interface on a phone, or both). If I can’t do that then I would at least like to be able to move some of the above onto a ‘smart’ footing. Ideally I would be able to have everything within one app on my/my wife’s phone, to be able to programme when everything turns on and to be able to remotely control things from outside the house.

I’ve taken a few snaps of the various units, which I will link rather than post as I’m not sure that they add much.
The boiler is a gas combi – a Worcester Greenstar 42CDI Classic:

It is controlled by a Drayton Digistat +2RF:

The underfloor heating is controlled by a Honeywell CM927 wireless programmable thermostat:

The boiler and the various wiring underneath it for the two thermostats looks like this:

The main bathroom has a control unit for the floor made by ‘Warmup’, a fuse trip-switch and a plug which controls the towel rail:

The en suite controls are limited to a plug which controls the towel rail and a ‘thermonet’ controller for the floor (with an associated fuse and switch):

Anyone have any ideas of where to start with trying to get all of this under one system (or as few systems as possible)?

Bouchehog
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2020 :  04:03:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Anyone have any ideas?
Go to Top of Page

VDB5590
Starting Member

Belgium
4 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2020 :  05:30:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, you don't need an idea to do that, you'd need a bunch of ideas, time, and more importantly, money.
It's perfectly possible to centralise all of these systems under one phone/tablet-controlled network, and it is not going to be difficult, just very long as you have several separate appliances to "smartify" one by one.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Smarthome Forum © 2000-2020 Smartlabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page