Talk About the Latest in Home Automation/Home Electronics -
Home Automation Forum

Smarthome Forum
Insteon Home Automation
Login or Register

Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Search | FAQ | Smarthome | Security and Privacy | Do Not Sell My Info
 All Forums
 General Discussion
 Lighting and Appliance Control
 Smarthome technology for a Vintage condo complex
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Demetri
Starting Member

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2020 :  11:08:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm new to the smarthome technology and I'm just starting out. I live in a vintage condo building built in 1903. Are there any smarthome technology I could install? I use plug in lamps. There are three ceiling light fixtures. Where should I begin to look or start?

<i>Demetrius</i>

oberkc

USA
4094 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2020 :  1:37:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am sure that there is. Have you ever looked at the wiring? Does it appear to have been updated recently, or does it appear to be original? Do you have your own wifi system?

Much depends upon what you are trying to achieve. "Smarthome technology" is a pretty broad and loose term. Lighting? Voice control? Automation? Remote control via phone? Locks? Blinds?

I use some Hue lighting and I see no reason why this could not be used in a "vintage" building. There are other similar kinds of things. Apple HomeKit devices would be a nice start if you are not trying to do anything too fancy.
Go to Top of Page

Demetri
Starting Member

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2020 :  7:11:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm only looking to work on the lighting, nothing else. There is electrical wiring, and the fixtures are modern, but the gas lines are still there. The goal is to have the lighting fixtures and lamps on remote control. Nothing elaborate, complex and expensive.

<i>Demetrius</i>
Go to Top of Page

BLH
Advanced Member

6156 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2020 :  08:18:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Plug in modules like the 2457D2 dimmer and 2635-222 On/Off modules should be fine.

For wall switches the 2477D dimmer and 2477S On/Off decorator style switch. Along with the 2334-232 Dimmer Keypad and 2487S Keypads should work fine. If the switches location has a Line, Neutral and Load connection in it to the fixtures.

If you don't have a neutral. You can many times rewire the box. So it has both the Line and Neutral power in it. Capping of the unused Load on the switch location and putting a Insteon fixture module inside the fixture. Then linking them together.

They all can be manually linked together but a HUB or ISY994i controller could be used or an Insteon Mini Remote to control them.

I believe the dimmer version of the Keypad also could be put into a tabletop case and controlled from it. I have seen posts indicating the On/Off model Keypad is too large to fit the tabletop case.

Edited by - BLH on 01/05/2020 08:23:21 AM
Go to Top of Page

oberkc

USA
4094 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2020 :  09:08:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Like BLH, I am an insteon fan. Most of the switches in my house are insteon, with a smaller percentage being zwave. I use the ISY controller, but this may be overkill if all you are looking for is a bit of remote control. I have no trouble recommending either insteon or zwave devices.

Some lighting devices connect directly ro your wifi sytem, but these would be a minority, I suspect. Those that dont would require a hub for remote control. Besides the ISY994, I have used very few, so I wont offer further recommendations on that front.

Another factor you might want to consider is your comfort on reliance on “cloud” services for the function of your house. Personally, I prefer to avoid this. Unfortunately, it seems many common systems use some type of cloud system. This is one of the major factors that appeal to me about the ISY 994 controller.

If cloud reliance is not a concern for you, I like apple homekit and google home devices. Both provide remote control and integrate well with some voice-activate gadgets should you choose that route. I have experimented with both, but only a little, so I am not sure I well understand the pros and cons of one versus the other, but tend to have a slight preference for apple homekit. For you, such a decision (should you want to go down this path ) would likely be based upon whether you are apple or android.

Go to Top of Page

Demetri
Starting Member

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2020 :  5:14:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks
quote:
Originally posted by BLH

Plug in modules like the 2457D2 dimmer and 2635-222 On/Off modules should be fine.

For wall switches the 2477D dimmer and 2477S On/Off decorator style switch. Along with the 2334-232 Dimmer Keypad and 2487S Keypads should work fine. If the switches location has a Line, Neutral and Load connection in it to the fixtures.

If you don't have a neutral. You can many times rewire the box. So it has both the Line and Neutral power in it. Capping of the unused Load on the switch location and putting a Insteon fixture module inside the fixture. Then linking them together.

They all can be manually linked together but a HUB or ISY994i controller could be used or an Insteon Mini Remote to control them.

I believe the dimmer version of the Keypad also could be put into a tabletop case and controlled from it. I have seen posts indicating the On/Off model Keypad is too large to fit the tabletop case.

<i>Demetrius</i>
Go to Top of Page

Demetri
Starting Member

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2020 :  5:15:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am an android user.
Thank you

quote:
Originally posted by oberkc

Like BLH, I am an insteon fan. Most of the switches in my house are insteon, with a smaller percentage being zwave. I use the ISY controller, but this may be overkill if all you are looking for is a bit of remote control. I have no trouble recommending either insteon or zwave devices.

Some lighting devices connect directly ro your wifi sytem, but these would be a minority, I suspect. Those that dont would require a hub for remote control. Besides the ISY994, I have used very few, so I wont offer further recommendations on that front.

Another factor you might want to consider is your comfort on reliance on “cloud” services for the function of your house. Personally, I prefer to avoid this. Unfortunately, it seems many common systems use some type of cloud system. This is one of the major factors that appeal to me about the ISY 994 controller.

If cloud reliance is not a concern for you, I like apple homekit and google home devices. Both provide remote control and integrate well with some voice-activate gadgets should you choose that route. I have experimented with both, but only a little, so I am not sure I well understand the pros and cons of one versus the other, but tend to have a slight preference for apple homekit. For you, such a decision (should you want to go down this path ) would likely be based upon whether you are apple or android.

<i>Demetrius</i>
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Smarthome Forum © 2000-2020 Smartlabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page