Talk About the Latest in Home Automation/Home Electronics -
Home Automation Forum

Smarthome Forum
Insteon Home Automation
Login or Register

Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Search | FAQ | Smarthome | Security and Privacy | Do Not Sell My Info
 All Forums
 General Discussion
 Insteon
 Insteon vs Tankless Water Heater
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

honiv
Starting Member

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2020 :  1:13:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Does anyone have any experience with a Tankless water heater interfering with an Insteon system? I'm considering installing a tankless system. It will put 2x60 amp breakers in my panel for a 240v circuit.

I'm checking ahead of time because this summer I put in a 40 amp (2x50a breakers) 240v circuit for charging my plugin hybrid car. When the car was charging the automation system wouldn't work. The charge cable along with my foolishly letting the electrician remove an old X-10 filter from the panel wreaked havoc with the system. I didn't know (at the time) that the filter also helped Insteon. It wasn't noted where the filter was taken off of and being that I put it in there 15-20 years ago. . . I made an educated guess and put it back on the circuit going to my home office.

The good folks at Insteon support suggested a 400V o01 uf capacitor between the hot and neutral on one of the 120V legs and another cap between the same neutral and the other hot. It did the trick and I got my automation system back.

Does anyone have a Tankless system going with their Insteon system with or without problems? Do you suppose the 400V o01 uf capacitor solution would work here if a problem pops up or with the addition 10 amps on the breakers necessitate a different capacitor?

Thanks in advance

oberkc

USA
4095 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2020 :  2:47:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a tankless system (Bosch). It is gas-fired. I have not perceived a problem interfering with insteon. Whether a full-electric tankless heater would interfere, I do not know, but I assume it would interfere no more so than an electric stove or oven.
Go to Top of Page

honiv
Starting Member

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2020 :  3:30:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by oberkc

I assume it would interfere no more so than an electric stove or oven.

That's what I thought until I had problems with the charger for my car. It just with an abundance of caution that I posed this question because it was a pain in the posterior till I got it solved this summer.

Edited by - honiv on 01/08/2020 3:32:36 PM
Go to Top of Page

oberkc

USA
4095 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2020 :  7:00:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
That's what I thought until I had problems with the charger for my car.

The car charging problems don't surprise me as much as would a stove or water heater. I suspect the car charger has more active electronics, and may have inductive and capacitive properties not present in a pure resistive load like a stove or water heater.

But this is all speculation on my part. It does seem like comm problems are more common than they should be.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Smarthome Forum © 2000-2020 Smartlabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page