Talk About the Latest in Home Automation/Home Electronics -
Home Automation Forum

Smarthome Forum
Insteon Home Automation
Login or Register

Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Search | FAQ | Smarthome | Security and Privacy | Do Not Sell My Info
 All Forums
 General Discussion
 Insteon
 Motion Sensor "locks on" for a while
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

jeffw_00
Advanced Member

1193 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2020 :  06:48:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi - I have a few of the older-style motion sensors around my house. One that I got recently is doing something weird. Occasionally it gets in a state where it sends motion on as often as it's allowed to, for about 45 minutes, and then stops, and works normally other times. It's in a somewhat protected location,and I did the trick of putting a few layers of shipping tape on it to further reduce sensitivity (This particular one is pointed at my front stoop so I don't need it to look further than a couple of dozen feet). When it happens, it can be at very different times of day.
Any idea whether it's defective (I'm still under warranty) or what would make one insist there's motion almost continuously for a period of time and then go back to normal?
Thanks!
/j

Tfitzpatri8
Administrator

USA
10829 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2020 :  07:09:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sounds like it has a low battery.
Go to Top of Page

jeffw_00
Advanced Member

1193 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2020 :  07:47:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
good thought - but 8.96V (lithium)
Go to Top of Page

Tfitzpatri8
Administrator

USA
10829 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2020 :  08:43:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If I had a few of these, I’d want to swap it (and the battery) with another to see if the symptoms follow the battery, the device, or the location.

While that battery may provide sufficient power for normal operations once it has warmed up, it could be that when it cools off in outside, winter conditions it no longer provides enough juice. Remember, this gear was born in SoCal where it’s a lot warmer!
Go to Top of Page

jeffw_00
Advanced Member

1193 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2020 :  08:44:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a spare so I can do a swap - but I have used lithium batteries on my other 2 same-model sensors for quite a while without incident - could be a bad module but thought i would ask first.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Smarthome Forum © 2000-2020 Smartlabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page