Talk About the Latest in Home Automation/Home Electronics -
Home Automation Forum

Smarthome Forum
Insteon Home Automation
Login or Register

Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Search | FAQ | Smarthome | Security and Privacy | Do Not Sell My Info
 All Forums
 General Discussion
 Insteon
 SH didn't initially back warranty on disc. product
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

jeffw_00
Advanced Member

1193 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2020 :  3:08:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi - Last October I bought a 2842-222 motion sensor from Amazon (not a 3rd party, from Amazon directly). It appears to be defective (it sends lots of bogus motion indications, and swapping in a different module (same location, same battery) fixed the problem). So I called Smarthome (in India, spoke to a supervisor), where they told me that because this is currently a discontinued/superceded product, there's no warranty support. . They asked me to send information, and they would "advocate" to get me a replacement, but no guarantees. Really?

The funny thing is that last year I called SH, and they told me that the new motion sensor was pretty much the same as the old one in terms of coverage/sensitivity (it had the same guts) Which is why when I needed a new one I bought the older style to be consistent with my existing units. There was no indication it was a close-out or lacked warranty support. .

When I worked in consumer electronics, we had to maintain warranty replacement stock of discontinued products for 7 years, and yet even though they were sold as fully-supported products on Amazon as recently as 3 months ago, Smarthome apparently has none in inventory, and standard policy is not to replace or refund.

Disappointing to say the least, especially to a customer who has been using their products (and used to write magazine articles about them) for 15 years.... (sigh).

Buyer Beware

Edited by - jeffw_00 on 01/25/2020 10:46:42 AM

BLH
Advanced Member

6157 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2020 :  4:15:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The 2842-222 was the original motion sensor. Made for Smarthome by Skylink. Was the second revision of the 2420M. Those two had the basic same design from SkyLink.

They where wrong on the statement "It has the same Guts" as the present 2844-222 Motion Sensor II.

I would hope if your 2842-222 was defective and no longer stocked. They would send the new model. Even though it would not match your older models.

Unfortunately I have seen many products where the manufacturer doesn't have stock of repair parts for much less than the old 7 year period.

Edited by - BLH on 01/23/2020 4:18:17 PM
Go to Top of Page

lilyoyo1

330 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2020 :  04:15:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
7 years seems like a really long time to hold onto obsolete inventory. The storage costs alone would cost more than simply giving a new replacement. My experience has been companies will ship me the new version, including smarthome (I replaced 2 sensors myself and got new ones)

Insteon devices have a 2 year warranty on them. With the 2842 being discontinued for so long, the rep probably had a hard time believing Amazon themselves were selling the device all these years later. As long as your receipt from Amazon shows it was sold via them and not someone else they should replace it. I'd call back with your info and go from there.

Edited by - lilyoyo1 on 01/25/2020 04:19:11 AM
Go to Top of Page

jeffw_00
Advanced Member

1193 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2020 :  10:46:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So here's how this played out - someone from SH who watches these forums reached out to me and requested my information, a day later SH informed me they were sending me replacement product. So this is what I would expect - having been a l-o-n-g time customer, I was pretty sure that management in CA wouldn't have wanted it to play out with the answer I was getting from India, so good to know they haven't changed their excellent policies. My only feedback is that there should be some less turbulent way for a customer to escalate to CA if they feel the need, as I don't enjoy calling them out in public when I'm pretty sure the outcome is not the one they intended. I mean, even Amazon has an escalation mechanism (you can always ask for a USA rep).

Anyway - happy camper now. Best to all!
/j
Go to Top of Page

jeffw_00
Advanced Member

1193 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2020 :  10:47:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
and I changed the topic subject from "they didn't back their warranty" to what you see now - no need to put out bad information :-)
Go to Top of Page

kdjerred
Average Member

USA
76 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2020 :  6:23:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kudos to Smarthome! This is the result I’ve always gotten from Smarthome on EVERY issue I’ve ever had with any product. Customer service has always come through to my satisfaction without any of the issues you experienced. Once in a rare while they have voluntarily escalated an issue up the chain of command to resolve. So glad they came through for you and I think this outcome is their ultimate goal and strengthens my confidence in Insteon products and Smarthome. It’s not required but I do purchase everything directly from Smarthome which does make warranty issues a little easier when they can see a purchase history and invoices can be viewed on the website.
Go to Top of Page

jeffw_00
Advanced Member

1193 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2020 :  06:18:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would purchase direct - but they're literally as far across the continental US from me as can be, and it's very tempted to order from Amazon and get it tomorrow rather than wait 1.5 weeks... I agree that SH always resolves things well. Unfortunately they've put their Customer Service overseas with no bypass mechanism which adds friction to the process.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Smarthome Forum © 2000-2020 Smartlabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page