Talk About the Latest in Home Automation/Home Electronics -
Home Automation Forum

Smarthome Forum
Insteon Home Automation
Login or Register

Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Search | FAQ | Smarthome | Security and Privacy | Do Not Sell My Info
 All Forums
 General Discussion
 Insteon
 Current version 2477D vs prior
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

austin_john
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2020 :  12:23:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi - I've been using Insteon + ISY for several years. Most of my switches and dimmers are 3+ years old, version 6.2.

Where is a list of revisions to current version - and what is current version?

I assume the FW is not updatable?

One reason I am asking is that I am updating a number of can light bulbs from incandescent to LED. The one LED I tested (Ecosmart from HomeDepot) is working, but I want a 3000K bulb and I am looking at a Sunco product on Amazon.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by - austin_john on 01/26/2020 12:25:29 PM

BLH
Advanced Member

6157 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2020 :  3:45:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have never seen a publicly released list of firmware or hardware revisions in modules.

You are correct the firmware is not a field upgrade. The modules do have a programming connector in them. Requires a compatible programmer for the micro controller being used and the firmware source file. That Smarthome has never released to end users.

Upgrading the firmware would probably not change the compatibility of a particular LED bulb. That would be more a hardware design of the module and LED Bulbs electronics. So would a later hardware version work better. Hard to say.

Many get a sample of the bulb they want to use and see if it worked with the module they wanted to use.

The latest users manual I have is for a hardware revision of 7+.

Right now the Smarthome sales page says for the 2477D. Product is Unavailable. Not sure if that is a bad sign.

Edited by - BLH on 01/26/2020 3:55:31 PM
Go to Top of Page

austin_john
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2020 :  3:53:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
BLH - thanks for the reply!

It seems they might sell more units as 'upgrades' if it was known what improvements and/or fixes were implemented, but thanks for confirming.

Also, good to know on the bulbs. It seems my method is 'best practice'. ;)
Go to Top of Page

kdjerred
Average Member

USA
76 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2020 :  4:38:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I’ve had really good luck with the Feit brand of can LED bulbs and using revisions purchased over the last 5years...
Go to Top of Page

lilyoyo1

330 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2020 :  6:16:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I use philips warm glow with mine without issue.

In regards to releasing what fixes are in, they are simply switches..they turn on, off, and/or dim. Unless something drastically changed such as going from single band to dual band, nothing in their updates are worth swapping out for.
They are probably out of stock on the 2477d. For some reason, they switched from saying out of stock to unavailable. To me that sends the wrong message as it leads to confusion.

Edited by - lilyoyo1 on 01/28/2020 6:19:30 PM
Go to Top of Page

kdjerred
Average Member

USA
76 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2020 :  09:06:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In stock today!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly