Talk About the Latest in Home Automation/Home Electronics -
Home Automation Forum

Smarthome Forum
Insteon Home Automation
Login or Register

Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Search | FAQ | Smarthome | Security and Privacy | Do Not Sell My Info
 All Forums
 General Discussion
 Speakers, A/V & Home Theater
 Renovating Home - New Video Distribution Setup
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

daveb21
Starting Member

Australia
3 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2020 :  02:36:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Have been going through these forums and the available HDMI matrixes on the market to try and figure out the best setup for the house that I am just about to renovate. The situation / setup I have in mind is below. I'm looking for opinions and recommendations as to how to achieve this and any specific equipment the community would recommend.

Outputs
Living Room: 65" LG OLED 4k TV
Winter Living: 52" Samsung LED 1080P TV
Outdoor Entertaining: 32" Sony LCD 1080p TV
Office: 42" Bush LCD 1080p TV
I have all this equipment today. The 1080p TVs will be upgraded to 4k if I have any money left after the renovation
(Optional / Future)
Office: 42" LG 4k LED Computer Monitor
Master Bedroom: 4k OLED TV
Guest Bedroom: 4k or 1080p LED TV
Of this equiment the only one I have today is the LG Monitor.

Inputs
2x Foxtel IQ4 HDMI Output, capable of 4k, Bluetooth and IR remote
1x Chromecast HDMI Output (or similarly capable device for casting)
1x Microsoft Wireless Display Adapter HDMI Output OR some sort of Windows PC with HDMI Output
I have all this equipment today
(Optional / Future)
Some sort of Windows PC
Additional Chromecast
Additional Foxtel
I'm thinking 4 inputs might be one short but 8 is too many...

All inputs and the HDMI Matrix will be located in a media / comms rack at the top of a broom cupboard in a passageway.
I do not currently have a HDMI Matrix nor have I yet purchased the media / comms rack.

Connectivity
Every location mentioned above will have at least two ports of CAT6a (or better?) and the two living rooms will likely have four.
The renovation has yet to commence (still in planning stage) so location, number and choice of cable are up for grabs.

I want to in each location be able to control using the one remote which input appears on the output and control the input itself (such as change the channel, scroll left/right etc). For remotes today I am just using the standard remotes that came with the Foxtel box and the TVs.

As I'm not big on just music or top quality sound I'm not planning on running audio to a separate speaker set anywhere in the house nor running any amplifiers or the like. If I really, really in the future want to get better audio in one of the living areas I'll just buy a top end soundbar and output from the TV.

I'm thinking a (ideally) 6x8 or 8x8 matrix with 4k capability over HDBaseT. To save money today I could settle for a 4x4. Ideally, I'd like to power the extenders over Ethernet but not a deal breaker if not as I can easily add more power points on the output side. For remotes I'm thinking I'll likely need a Universal remotes. I've used some of the low end Logitech Universal Remotes in the past and my experience was they were OK. Not as intuitive as I'd have liked but hey I bought the cheap one so what do I expect... And is it "bidirectional" or "IR call-back" that I need the matrix to support in order for the Universal remote to control the matrix input and the input source?

At last the ultimate wishlist item - which I know I'm almost no chance of getting - is the ability to control the outputs and matrix using Google Assistant/Home. I already have two Home Mini's and will be adding a Home Hub during the renovation (along with a bunch of Zigbee and WiFi home automation devices).

Would very much appreciate any advice or recommendations from the community. And feel free to poke holes in my plan.

Thanks in advance!
Dave
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Smarthome Forum © 2000-2020 Smartlabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page