Talk About the Latest in Home Automation/Home Electronics -
Home Automation Forum

Smarthome Forum
Insteon Home Automation
Login or Register

Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Search | FAQ | Smarthome | Security and Privacy | Do Not Sell My Info
 All Forums
 General Discussion
 Insteon
 Utility power dip issue
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

bcfromva

USA
20 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2020 :  07:30:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Last weekend, my utility power flashed out and has caused some issues on my Insteon network. The main problem is a (non-dimmer) switch that controls both the ceiling fan light and a standing light in the room. When I toggle the switch, the standing light works properly, but the ceiling fan light no longer toggles. I also could not toggle the ceiling fan light with the controls on the fan itself (at first).

The LED indicator on the switch that shows Insteon traffic flashes for much longer than is normal. The FanLinc that is attached to the fan is apparently functional, because I can control the fan blades with a keypad it was linked to. Last night (2 days after the power outage), I was once again able to control the ceiling fan light using the control on the fan itself, however the wall switch still does not work. The FanLinc is inside the housing of the fan and thus very difficult to physically reach.

Anyone have suggestions on how to address the problem?

As a secondary question, is there some way to see all the Insteon links in my network? I'm sure I have old ones that need to be deleted. Additionally, is there a way to make new connections without manually pressing the button on each device?

Thanks in advance!

oberkc

USA
4095 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2020 :  08:42:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Do you have a controller such as the insteon hub or ISY-994?

quote:
Anyone have suggestions on how to address the problem?

Without a controller, I would try to recreate the link between switch and fanlinc.

quote:
As a secondary question, is there some way to see all the Insteon links in my network? I'm sure I have old ones that need to be deleted. Additionally, is there a way to make new connections without manually pressing the button on each device?

Without a controller having such capabilities, I am unaware of any way to examine the link records nor to establish links without pressing the button on each device. Perhaps there is a way to do so with some direct type of query to a "PLM", but I assume you would not have one of these without some type of controller (whether hardware or software.)

Edited by - oberkc on 01/28/2020 08:45:05 AM
Go to Top of Page

bcfromva

USA
20 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2020 :  10:48:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, I have a V2 Hub.
Go to Top of Page

jackman

209 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2020 :  10:57:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You might also want to try a factory reset on the device and recreate the links. If that doesn't do it I'd replace it.
Go to Top of Page

oberkc

USA
4095 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2020 :  11:02:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hopefully, someone familiar with the hub can jump in. I use a different controller which can do the things you ask. Hopefully the hub can as well.

Factory reset may end up being a good idea if recreating the links dont work you cannot do it via hub. Given that this device still communicates with some other devices (standing light) would cause me to hesitate declaring failure of the switch.
Go to Top of Page

bcfromva

USA
20 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2020 :  11:27:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree that the switch is probably fine. Hopefully linking one device to another is possible with the hub.

What controller allows links to be formed/disconnected?
Go to Top of Page

oberkc

USA
4095 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2020 :  2:21:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
What controller allows links to be formed/disconnected?

I use the ISY-994 controller and links can be created without pressing buttons on the devices, once those devices are added to the controller, itself. I believe the same is true of the hub. Can you still control your switch via the insteon app on your phone? If so, this is further evidence that the switch is working.

Additionally, the ISY-994 can query devices for their link records and compare it to what the ISY thinks it should have. Also, the ISY-994 can "restore" a given device to fix any broken link records. I am unsure whether the hub can do this.

Edited by - oberkc on 01/28/2020 2:22:30 PM
Go to Top of Page

bcfromva

USA
20 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2020 :  3:51:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The ISY-994i appears to be superior to the hub, so I might go ahead and get one (I don't see any way to do device-to-device links in the hub app).

Additionally, the switch is showing the yellow code in the hub app, so I guess I'll try a factory reset. I wish I wrote down the ID for the fanlinc so I didn't have to take the fan apart!
Go to Top of Page

oberkc

USA
4095 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2020 :  5:05:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
I don't see any way to do device-to-device links in the hub

Really!!?? Does it use another term, such as "scenes"? This would be the same thing. Create a scene, add the switch as controller and fan light as responder, no? Or, do you already have a hub scene defined somewhere with the ceiling fan, keypad button, and switch?

Go to Top of Page

Tfitzpatri8
Administrator

USA
10829 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2020 :  5:40:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you go to settings, devices and select the fanlinc, it’ll show the device address, but you’ll still need access to the physical set button to do a factory reset.

If it were me, I’d troubleshoot differently before resorting to a factory reset. Turn off the circuit in the breaker box, give it a minute, then power it back on. Refresh the Hub page to see if the yellow is replaced by white or green status.

If not, are any other devices no longer showing status? It may be because the surge that happened when the power co restored service blew out one of the filter capacitors protecting one of your circuits from noisy interference caused by some other appliance or power supply. You might try moving the Hub to a different circuit—you can plug it into an extension cord, then plug that cord into an outlet on the fan circuit to test. If it works like that, then you can look for problems on the original circuit.
Go to Top of Page

lilyoyo1

330 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2020 :  7:43:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The hub can create links (scenes). The instructions are in the manual found on the hubs webpage
Go to Top of Page

bcfromva

USA
20 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2020 :  11:05:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I tried the reset method by turning off the power for 30 seconds the day this happened (that did fix a dimmer that was also messed up, but did not fix this switch).

Last night I tried a factory reset on the switch. I was able to re-link a light to that switch successfully, but the hub still does not see it at all. I haven't messed with the fanlinc yet. The hub sees all my other devices per normal. The hub is on the same circuit as the switch.

I went ahead and bought the newer version of the switch on Amazon and also an ISY-994i since I want to be able to see all my links (I think I have a lot of dead links from devices that have died over the years or that I no longer use).
Go to Top of Page

oberkc

USA
4095 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2020 :  12:24:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In general, the ISY-994 should be your only controller. If you use this, the hub becomes something for your spare parts bin. You will no longer be able to use the insteon app on the phone.

If you decide to go ahead with the ISY-994, you should factory reset all devices, then add them to the ISY-994. Once added, you can recreate the scenes that link the various devices. Once you are familiar with this, you can add some programs to trigger the events that interest you.

While I understand you now have an ISY-994, I suggest the suggestions of Tfitzpatri8. It is possible that the power surge caused something to malfunction and that is not causing some type of interference. The ISY will likely not fix these types of problems.
Go to Top of Page

bcfromva

USA
20 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2020 :  07:03:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just an update: the new switch and the ISY controller came over the weekend. I was unable to fix the old switch using any of the methods discussed, so I installed the new switch. Unfortunately, I had to take apart the ceiling fan to access the Fanlinc, but I was able to successfully link it to the new switch, and everything works again(yay for having a lit office once more!)

I'll eventually transition to the ISY-994 since it is more powerful, but there's no rush.

Thanks for the help!

Go to Top of Page

BLH
Advanced Member

6157 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2020 :  03:20:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
One tip. When changing to an ISY994i. It is a good idea to Factory Reset the modules being added. So no old links in the module may get accidentally into the ISY994i setup.
Go to Top of Page

EVIL Teken
Advanced Member

Canada
2367 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2020 :  4:54:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If and when you decide to transition to the ISY Series Controller within the device tree. You can right mouse click and select *Notes*. This will cause a pop up window to appear and you can enter whatever your heart desires. I use the notes field to document when that piece of hardware was purchased, where, costs, Insteon ID, firmware, hardware production and revision. If the device is battery powered I document when it was installed and replaced.

Anytime I have replaced a piece of hardware I document the very same so it reflects the history of that area, zone, floor, etc.

Teken . . .

Want to make a real difference? Cast your vote to make the PLM Pro a reality: http://forum.insteon.com/forum/main-category/new-insteon-device-wish-list/8221-plm-pro

Stusviews: This world is made less with out your presence. Your contributions in all things has helped inspire millions to succeed. You were a husband, teacher, mentor, a friend to all.

I will forever miss our chats, debates, and collaboration. I will not remember how you died but remember how you lived and what you left behind. The sky has another star in the Heavens where you reside but the Earth is much darker with out your light to lead the way.

Edited by - EVIL Teken on 03/01/2020 4:56:18 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Smarthome Forum © 2000-2020 Smartlabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page