Talk About the Latest in Home Automation/Home Electronics -
Home Automation Forum

Smarthome Forum
Insteon Home Automation
Login or Register

Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Search | FAQ | Smarthome | Security and Privacy | Do Not Sell My Info
 All Forums
 General Discussion
 Lighting and Appliance Control
 Switches without common wires
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

FMan47
Starting Member

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2020 :  05:52:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have encountered a wall switch without a common wire. It looks like the line side cable was brought to the receptacle box in ceiling with load line going down to the switch for turning light on & Off. Without re-wiring, I am looking for a smart switch that works without a common wire or controller i put in the ceiling box. I have the ISY994i controller with Zwave. The smart device has to work with that

BLH
Advanced Member

6156 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2020 :  3:54:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That is a switch loop type wiring.

If you do not want to do any rewiring. You probably will be limited to controlling incandescent type loads. As the switch has to steal some power through the load even when Off. There is the Insteon 2474D two wire dimmer. RF Only and requires an incandescent type load. I believe other protocols will have similar limitations.

If you want to do some rewiring. Rewire the two wires to the switch location. To province Neutral and Line capping off the Load wire to an Insteon switch. Then put a micro module inside the fixture to control the light linked to the switch in the switch box.

If you have not asked yet. You may want to ask in the UDI Forums. There are many users there that have experiences with things like Switch Loops and are also ZWave users.
https://forum.universal-devices.com/

Edited by - BLH on 02/01/2020 3:59:48 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Smarthome Forum © 2000-2020 Smartlabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page