Talk About the Latest in Home Automation/Home Electronics -
Home Automation Forum

Smarthome Forum
Insteon Home Automation
Login or Register

Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Search | FAQ | Smarthome | Security and Privacy | Do Not Sell My Info
 All Forums
 General Discussion
 Lighting and Appliance Control
 0-10V dimmer WiFi wall switch
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

matthewdecker
Starting Member

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2020 :  07:12:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I need to find a 0-10V dimmer switch to control LED light fixtures that has built in WiFi so it can be integrated into an existing smarthome system. Something that has a skills that works directly with Alexa would be preferable, but using a hub of some kind would be ok as well. Most of the options I am finding are for large scale industrial applications, and I am not able to verify from the information that I can find if they are compatible with home systems as well.

Edited by - matthewdecker on 02/07/2020 07:13:21 AM

BLH
Advanced Member

6157 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2020 :  3:14:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You want it to be in a wall switch format?
Smarthome sells a 2475DA2 Insteon 0-10V Insteon dimmer module. Usually installed in the fixture itself.
https://www.smarthome.com/insteon-2475da2-0-10vdc-ballast-dimmer-dual-band.html
Go to Top of Page

matthewdecker
Starting Member

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2020 :  7:42:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you for your help, but I was hoping to have a wall switch, so I could control the lights from the switch as well. Leviton makes a few like this: https://www.leviton.com/en/products/zs057-d0z that look like they may be compatible with a zigbee hub, but I can't find anything definitive.
Go to Top of Page

oberkc

USA
4095 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2020 :  04:05:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Thank you for your help, but I was hoping to have a wall switch, so I could control the lights from the switch as well.

Insteon works in such a way that you could purchase the suggested dimmer module and a switch, then electronically link them together such that turning off/on the switch would cause the dimmer module to do the same. Yes, it would also require an insteon hub for you to be able to communicate with it via the internet or another smarthome system. (It might help also to know what is your "existing smarthome system.")

It looks to me as if the lumina switch you referenced would require a hub, as well. I have never used this leviton system, but it appears to be here:

https://www.leviton.com/en/products/74a00-1

I don't know how easy it would be to use the leviton system with other smart home systems.

Go to Top of Page

matthewdecker
Starting Member

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2020 :  5:33:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ok maybe this is what I need then. I am I correct in saying that I could wire it in conjunction with a regular "Dumb" dimmer, and either device would work for controlling the light. The dimmer sends the signal to the unit, then it is converted to a 0-10 volt signal?
Go to Top of Page

oberkc

USA
4095 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2020 :  02:29:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
I am I correct in saying that I could wire it in conjunction with a regular "Dumb" dimmer, and either device would work for controlling the light.

No. This would only work in conjunction with another insteon switch or device.

Also, to repeat, you would need a hub of some type if you wish to have any hope of communication to the world outside of insteon and your house. And, make sure you research this enough to satisfy yourself that this would be compatible with your existing home automation system, whatever that is.
Go to Top of Page

oberkc

USA
4095 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2020 :  06:49:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I continue to be intrigued with using this dimmer module. Looking at the specifications, I note that the 0-10V is DC and lists no power capacity. I assume that this is intended as a “control” signal only and not intended to directly power a load.
Go to Top of Page

Tfitzpatri8
Administrator

USA
10829 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2020 :  10:26:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The ballast dimmer is one of the more sophisticated Insteon devices. It’s an interesting hybrid, the hardware provides *both* a digital 0-10 VDC digital control signal output *and* two relays. You choose which option is appropriate for your ballast and cap off the other wires.
Go to Top of Page

BLH
Advanced Member

6157 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2020 :  3:28:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The relays can be used to turn the AC On and Off to the fixture and the 0-10V can be used to control the brightness when the relay if used turn the fixture On.

The users manual is available for you to look at. In the sales page link in an earlier reply here.

Edited by - BLH on 02/09/2020 3:30:25 PM
Go to Top of Page

matthewdecker
Starting Member

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2020 :  07:49:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ok, so I'm thinking that the Insteon dimmer switch and 0-10V module are definitely looking like the best solution. There seem to be complaints about the Insteon hub though, is it worth it to get an ISY controller device instead?
Go to Top of Page

oberkc

USA
4095 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2020 :  6:25:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I thought you said you have an "existing smartphone system". Did I misunderstand? Do you not already have something?
Go to Top of Page

matthewdecker
Starting Member

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2020 :  04:44:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
LOL, sorry, my existing "smarthome" system was a single WiFi and a single WiFi outlet. Until I did some research I was thinking of them as a system. I realized pretty quickly what a joke that is.
Go to Top of Page

oberkc

USA
4095 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2020 :  10:15:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well...between the ISY994 and hub, I would i,agine that the ISY has the best chance of i tegrating with them. Still, it is hard to say without knowing more. Are they homekit or google nest compatible?

I am a fan of the ISY994. Still, it is hard to recommend one over the other without knowing your goals and desires.
Go to Top of Page

matthewdecker
Starting Member

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2020 :  08:23:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I ended up going with a Leviton ZS057-D0Z https://www.leviton.com/en/products/zs057-d0z and a Samsung SmartThings hub. seemed like it would be easier to use and more compatible all around.
Go to Top of Page

oberkc

USA
4095 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2020 :  2:39:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very good. I suspect you will enjoy it.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Smarthome Forum © 2000-2020 Smartlabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page