Talk About the Latest in Home Automation/Home Electronics -
Home Automation Forum

Smarthome Forum
Insteon Home Automation
Login or Register

Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Search | FAQ | Smarthome | Security and Privacy | Do Not Sell My Info
 All Forums
 General Discussion
 Insteon
 1 dimmer in 2 switch light
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

llito

26 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2020 :  10:51:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is possible to connect 1 insteon dimmer to 2 switch light and the other switch is a regular switch?
If yes, how do i wire it?

Edited by - llito on 02/23/2020 11:43:00 AM

Tfitzpatri8
Administrator

USA
10829 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2020 :  11:43:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Negative, all the control points have to speak Insteon for the attached load to be remotely controllable.
Go to Top of Page

oberkc

USA
4095 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2020 :  2:35:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have not done this, but one (theoretically) could use a single micro module in the fixture box and keep all regular switches. Personally, I don't like this as well...I like UP always being ON and vice versa...but if there is some factor such as cost that makes two switches prohibitive, you could try the micro module.
Go to Top of Page

Tfitzpatri8
Administrator

USA
10829 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2020 :  4:10:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There are two challenges with using a micro module as a substitute for two SwitchLincs.

First, you need to install it where you have access to all the necessary wiring—line, neutral and switches. That means it has to fit wherever connections to those inputs exist, sometimes in a shallow box behind an existing 3-way switch, and sometimes behind a fixture on the ceiling or a wall.

Second, then the wall switches can serve as toggles only, turning the module on or off at one preset dim level and ramp rate only. You’d need to adjust the dim level using a phone or another linked Insteon controller.

For easier installation and better flexibility, use an Insteon controller at each control point.
Go to Top of Page

oberkc

USA
4095 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2020 :  03:27:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
First, you need to install it where you have access to all the necessary wiring—line, neutral and switches.

Which is why I suggested putting it into the fixture box. I would say access to the necessary wiring is more a problem associated with switch boxes.

quote:
For easier installation and better flexibility, use an Insteon controller at each control point.

I certainly agree that I prefer insteon controllers at each location. Whether it proves easier is not a certainty, unfortunately.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Smarthome Forum © 2000-2020 Smartlabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page