Talk About the Latest in Home Automation/Home Electronics -
Home Automation Forum

Smarthome Forum
Insteon Home Automation
Login or Register

Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Search | FAQ | Smarthome | Security and Privacy | Do Not Sell My Info
 All Forums
 General Discussion
 Lighting and Appliance Control
 Light Switches with the best customizable settings
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

HomeAutomator
Starting Member

3 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2020 :  4:07:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am looking to purchase some smart light switches with very specific functions in mind. To start, I use Google assistant and Philips Hue for almost all my lighting needs at that moment. 99% of my bulbs are smart bulbs except for the two bathrooms because they have specially installed lighting that no one makes a smart bulb for.

Here is my vision... I want to be able to set up a switch at the front door that shuts off all my lights when I exit the house. Currently I have a Philips Hue battery powered switch that I long press the 'Off' button and it shuts off all the lights in the house except for the two bathrooms in question. The new switches only need to turn on and off, no dimming required. I am open to WiFi or hub switches as long as they get the job done.

I have pondered three options...

1) If anyone knows of a switch that integrates with the Philips Hue hub that would be great, but I don't believe one exists with the Zigbee Light Link protocol.

2) I could get two smart switches and possibly use IFTTT (or something of the like) to run a command any time I use the Hue Switch at the front door so that when all the Hue bulbs shut off, the two new light switches are triggered to shut off as well.

3) I get three switches of the same brand. Two are installed in the bathrooms and the third switch installs at the front door. If there is a brand that would allow me to keep it's own feed on when I turn it off (it would be feeding several Philips Hue Smart Bulbs), and instead just tells the other two smart switches to turn off, that would just mean I two switches to turn off when I leave the house to power everything off.

Hopefully this all made sense. I'm looking for a physical option and not a voice commanded option. Open to other ideas that I may not have thought of. I rent, so I'm not going to do any major rewiring or cutting into walls for new equipment to make this work. If I can't install something that is somewhat simple, then I will just fall back to using Google assistant to shut off everything, but hoping for something that my wife will be more comfortable using as well.

Appreciate any help or ideas. Thanks!

oberkc

USA
4094 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2020 :  5:02:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
1) I thought there was a hue switch, no? It is battery powered.

2). Interestingly, amazon echo, like google home, uses “routines”. Unlike google, apparently, alexa can trigger a routine based upon a switch. That routine could turn off all your lights. Perhaps you could look a little harder at the google home and find something that I missed.

3), I am normally hesitant to disable power to smart devices. It makes them very dumb. Perhaps I misunderstand what you are proposing here.

I have not looked to deep into this, but perhaps you could add a hub such as samsung smartthings. This hub speaks to hue, but also to many other devices, including light switches. Perhaps this hub could trigger all you lights based upon a switch being toggled.
Go to Top of Page

HomeAutomator
Starting Member

3 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2020 :  10:05:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by oberkc

2). Interestingly, amazon echo, like google home, uses “routines”. Unlike google, apparently, alexa can trigger a routine based upon a switch. That routine could turn off all your lights. Perhaps you could look a little harder at the google home and find something that I missed.

3), I am normally hesitant to disable power to smart devices. It makes them very dumb. Perhaps I misunderstand what you are proposing here.

I have not looked to deep into this, but perhaps you could add a hub such as samsung smartthings. This hub speaks to hue, but also to many other devices, including light switches. Perhaps this hub could trigger all you lights based upon a switch being toggled.

1) Yes there is a Hue Switch and it is battery powered, sorry if my writing was confusing.

2) Thanks for letting me know that Alexa can handle this... I'm fairly locked into Google Assistant, but I do feel Alexa is pulling away in the features department. Google's routine's don't seem to handle this right now (I'm also baffled at the fact that Alexa and be used as an intercom and Google can't wrap their head around this simple feature... but I digress).

3) Again, sorry if this is confusing, but you have the same concerns that I have. I actually want the power to stay on all the time at that switch, but it would be able to shut the power off to the other switches (which won't be powering any smart bulbs/devices).
Go to Top of Page

HomeAutomator
Starting Member

3 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2020 :  10:12:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by oberkc

For option 3, what I want to know is if anyone knows of a brand that is fairly customizable in their app. So you could use one switch to control the other switch over the WiFi.
-- For example, through third party apps, I can highly configure my Hue Switches much more than through the proprietary app. I have a switch that is tied to my bedroom, but I can customize the buttons so that the second time I press the on button, the kitchen comes on, or I can hold the off button and everything in the house shuts off before I go to bed. I'm looking for this kind of optimization through another brand that makes WiFi switches (or zigbee or z-wave) And they don't need to control the Philips bulbs at all, just each other (so if they are GE, then all the GE smart switches can control the other GE smart swtiches)... so I'll be using two different systems. If I can integrate them together, great! But if they both work well separately, that's totally fine as well.

Edited by - HomeAutomator on 03/15/2020 10:17:49 AM
Go to Top of Page

oberkc

USA
4094 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2020 :  12:06:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I use insteon and z-wave switches. I would say that the switches, themselves, have limited ability to "customize" the operation. In these cases, I believe the customization comes from a central hub, scenes, and programs. Certainly, it is not too difficult to have one switch control another and, with the right hub, create special customized responses such as you describe. Furthermore, the hub that I use (ISY-994 with Polisy) can talk to hue devices (given the presence of a hue hub) and could integrate everything. It would be relatively trivial to create a routine triggered by a switch that could be used as an "away" or "home" trigger and turn off lights after you leave and turn them on when you arrive. You could even delay turning them off for a short time allowing you to exit with lights.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Smarthome Forum © 2000-2020 Smartlabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page