Talk About the Latest in Home Automation/Home Electronics -
Home Automation Forum

Smarthome Forum
Insteon Home Automation
Login or Register

Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Search | FAQ | Smarthome | Security and Privacy | Do Not Sell My Info
 All Forums
 General Discussion
 Lighting and Appliance Control
 X-10 replacement
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

RegGosnell
Starting Member

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2020 :  08:17:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I want to replace my X-10 dimmer switches. Since they are in my media room, I want to control them with my URC MX-450 universal remote, as I do now. It can do IR or RF. There are 3 switches to replace. I also want to use them manually sometimes. Suggestions?

Reg Gosnell

oberkc

USA
4094 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2020 :  4:33:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
RF? Do you know which standard? Does your remote control x-10 directly?

IR seems harder to come by in recent years. I still see a few via google search. You would have to determine if you could teach your remote the proper codes.

I notice that, at one point at least, lutron made switches that can be controlled directly via RF and the MX-450. Whether they still do, I cannot say, but my suspicion is that these are not.

Much could depend on what it is worth to you, both time and treasure. I have a home automation hub that can learn IR commands and react to those commands as programmed. It can control insteon and z-wave switches. this would be an investment of hundreds of dollars and hours of time for you to learn how to set it up and program. It would certainly be cheaper (and likely take less time) to replace the remote with something like a Harmony Hub and compatible switches for your lighting.
Go to Top of Page

BLH
Advanced Member

6156 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2020 :  03:31:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Most X10 model wall switch dimmers where two wire Line and Load. With the switch getting power through the load.
I would think most modern automation switches would also use the Neutral connection to get their power.
Check to see if there are neutral wires in the back of the switch box. So you know if it would be part of the equation.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Smarthome Forum © 2000-2020 Smartlabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page