Talk About the Latest in Home Automation/Home Electronics -
Home Automation Forum

Smarthome Forum
Insteon Home Automation
Login or Register

Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Search | FAQ | Smarthome | Security and Privacy | Do Not Sell My Info
 All Forums
 General Discussion
 Lighting and Appliance Control
 Ceiling Light/Fan Remote Recommendation
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

OSUBuckeye1982
Starting Member

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2020 :  3:10:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good evening. I need a recommendation for an unusual type of ceiling light/fan combo remote. Specifically, I need a remote that comes with a receiver that accepts TWO outbound neutral ceiling lines for two wall switches, one to control the fan and the other for the light. Every remote receiver I seem to find only has one neutral line out, leaving one of the wall switches nonfunctional. I need the ceiling fan/light to have both the fan and the light controlled by both the remote and the two wall switches. Any recommendations?

**Buckeye stuck in Nittany Lion land**

BLH
Advanced Member

6191 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2020 :  3:34:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Are they on separate branch circuits?

Are you sure you are looking at Neutrals? If it is on one of the wall switches terminals and the switch does not have a pilot light. It is the AC being switched to the Load and should have a Black marking on it. Not the Neutral power connection.

The Neutral wire on the remote is not an output. It is the Neutral power input to the remote.
Normally you just connect all of the Neutrals together. The one from the AC supply and the two from the light and fan motor.

If you can give more details. A more specific answer maybe available.
Go to Top of Page

OSUBuckeye1982
Starting Member

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2020 :  8:18:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The ceiling has a black wire, a red wire, a white wire, and a copper ground wire. All of the ceiling fan remotes I have come across have a white, black, and blue wire going into the fan, but only a black and white wire going into the ceiling, giving sole access to the remote, leaving only one wall switch to control both the fan and light and the other wall switch nonfunctional. I need a remote that has all three wires going into the ceiling as well as into the fan.

Go to Top of Page

BLH
Advanced Member

6191 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2020 :  03:51:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You only have a single Black and White wire from the wall switches location to the fan wiring?

That sounds like a switch loop where the white may actually be a line feed to the switch and may have a black marking on it.

A White wire is not always a neutral connection. Like when used in a switch loop.

It sounds to me that you want a remote with two switched outputs. So you can turn the built in light and fan on separately.
The remote you pointed out. Black is line power, white is neutral power and blue switched to control both light and fan motor.
Go to Top of Page

oberkc

USA
4111 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2020 :  05:08:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
O-H !!!

I am a little confused regarding the "two outbound neutral ceiling lines" comment.

In the ceiling box, I understand you have a single cable with white, black, and red (along with bare copper) conductors. Correct? I understand that you want a handheld remote control for the ceiling fan/light, but you want to maintain two separate switches for the fan and light. Correct?

I cannot say that I have seen exactly what you are looking for in an off-the-shelf. Given that this is a Smarthome forum, you will see a frequent mention of insteon devices, and I will be no different (this is what I use). For ceiling fans, I use a "fanlinc" which installs into the fan canopy. It controls the fan (three speeds) and light (dimming). Manual control for the fan/light can be accomplished via insteon switches. These would be electronically linked to the fanlinc (communicating via the electrical wires and RF). If you wanted to maintain separate switches for the fan and light, this is doable, but the fan switch is most likely going to be the insteon keypad device (keypadlinc). The light switch can be the insteon "switchlinc". For remote control, an insteon "remotelinc 2" would work fine.

Take a look at those devices and see if this approach looks promising to you. If you decide to go this route, you might want to consider adding the insteon hub or some other type of central controller. Linking all these devices without a hub could be a little tedious and the hub could make this process easier along with providing a path towards a more sophisticated automation system. It would also allow you to control your fan and light via your cell phone or tablet.
Go to Top of Page

OSUBuckeye1982
Starting Member

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2020 :  05:51:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is my situation, especially the final responses at the bottom: https://diy.stackexchange.com/questions/69580/ceiling-fan-wiring-with-remote-control-2-wall-switches

Go to Top of Page

oberkc

USA
4111 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2020 :  12:32:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If I may repeat the questions from my original post:

quote:
In the ceiling box, I understand you have a single cable with white, black, and red (along with bare copper) conductors. Correct? I understand that you want a handheld remote control for the ceiling fan/light, but you want to maintain two separate switches for the fan and light. Correct?

Regardless, I doubt that I will have any further recommendations regarding hardware.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Smarthome Forum © 2000-2020 Smartlabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page