Talk About the Latest in Home Automation/Home Electronics -
Home Automation Forum

Smarthome Forum
Insteon Home Automation
Login or Register

Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Search | FAQ | Smarthome | Security and Privacy | Do Not Sell My Info
 All Forums
 General Discussion
 Lighting and Appliance Control
 Wink alternatives/ wireless light switch
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

zamboknee
Starting Member

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2020 :  06:40:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wink is shifting to a subscription based model starting May 15.
$5/month but I'm not gonna do that.
I currently have a Casetta wireless light switch (runs on batteries) and would like to find an alternative to it.

I don't want to wire-in a new smart switch. I'd prefer to just be able to swap out the Wink/Casetta switch with something similar but preferablly without a hub.

Any suggestions?

oberkc

USA
4111 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2020 :  2:04:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Apple HomeKit compatible device? Google (nest) hub compatible device?

I suppose with what you swap it would depend on your purpose for having such a switch. Do you need automation or simple timers? Are you looking simply for remote control via your phone or tablet? You state that you don't want to wire in another smart switch...Do you simply want to replace the cassetta switch with a dumb switch?

Based on my understanding, the $5 fee is only for those who want remote control of the switch via the app. I assume that the existing switch would continue to behave as a switch without the subscription, so why replace it if you don't want another smart switch?
Go to Top of Page

zamboknee
Starting Member

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2020 :  4:12:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Apple HomeKit

I want a switch that I can automate (set auto on/off when away) but don't need to splice into wiring.
Go to Top of Page

oberkc

USA
4111 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2020 :  6:54:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As best I can tell from the manual, the Caseta light switch requires no neutral conductor. Lutron makes a casita homekit-compatible switch, but apparently requires a hub. Leviton makes a HomeKit-compatible switch that works without a hub, but requires a neutral conductor for the switch.

Unless you are comfortable identifying wiring in your switch box and confirming the existence of a neutral, this is going to limit your options.
Go to Top of Page

zamboknee
Starting Member

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2020 :  07:18:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Don't want to wire anything in. The current wall switch/system is battery operated so there's no wiring involved.
Go to Top of Page

oberkc

USA
4111 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2020 :  7:23:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I cannot think of, and am having trouble imagining, a battery-operated switch that will work without a compatible device with which it communicates, be that a hub or another switch (likely wired). Your caseta switch communicates with another switch, in addition to the hub, correct? (Otherwise, it would not be able to control a light.)

I fear you are stuck with the need to wire in something, or stay with your caseta system. Perhaps the best solution would be to find another hub that works with caseta but requires no subscription.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Smarthome Forum © 2000-2020 Smartlabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page