Talk About the Latest in Home Automation/Home Electronics -
Home Automation Forum

Smarthome Forum
Insteon Home Automation
Login or Register

Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Search | FAQ | Smarthome | Security and Privacy | Do Not Sell My Info
 All Forums
 General Discussion
 Security
 Fine tune motion sensor distance detection?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

web1b
Starting Member

USA
8 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2020 :  3:03:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
With my doorbell camera, the app lets you set the zones you want it to trigger for to a very controlled and defined area.

Are there any stand alone outdoor motion sensors that let you control how far out you want it to detect?

I want to detect human and animal activity near my property line, but not have it go off every time a car goes by 5 feet further away.

Tfitzpatri8
Administrator

USA
10837 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2020 :  4:14:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Negative. IR detectors aren’t typically sophisticated enough to feature any kind of computer interface or programmable zoning capability, so you are left either adjusting the mount angle or using tape on the inside of the lens to obscure areas where you do not want movement detected.
Go to Top of Page

web1b
Starting Member

USA
8 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2020 :  5:08:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tfitzpatri8

Negative. IR detectors aren’t typically sophisticated enough to feature any kind of computer interface or programmable zoning capability, so you are left either adjusting the mount angle or using tape on the inside of the lens to obscure areas where you do not want movement detected.

The motion sensors I have seen have plastic shields you snap the sides to control the side peripheral view like blinders for a horse, but I don’t see how to control distance detection with tape.

I would likely get something like one of these sensors?
http://www.steinel.net/Outdoor-Motion-Sensors

I already have one that controls the porch lights and it works well, but it sometimes gets triggered by passing cars.
I would have liked to be able to tap into the same sensor, but I don’t think that’s possible because it’s configured to only activate after dark since it’s attached to lights.

I need a sensor that works outside 24/7 with minimal false activations.

I want to attached it to an irrigation valve so that I have a much more elegant and discrete version of those hose attached motion sprinklers that scare away animals like cats, deer, etc..
I have an issue with multiple neighborhood dog walkers allowing their dogs to attempt to mark their territory in the same spots and it’s killing plants. Before I get new plantings installed, I want this system set up so the new plants aren’t also killed in the same way.
I’d like the lawn sprinklers to activate when motion is detected near the curb (my lawn goes all the way to the curb as there is no sidewalk). The telltale noises of the sprinklers pressurizing in preparation to start spraying should be enough to startle the dog and have the owner pull it back away from the plants and lawn.

I’d like the sprinklers to run for maybe 30 seconds and then turn off again. I’d also like to be able to schedule exclusion dates and times so I can schedule automatic deactivation when people are coming to mow and trim.

Does anyone know what I’d need to purchase to get this all set up?

I need to minimize false activation so it doesn’t waste water and wear out the valve going off when a car drives by or someone walks on the other side of the street.

You mentioned tilting it. I could imagine installing it in a way that it kind of points downward so the detection zone doesn’t reach out more than a foot or so past the curb, but how would you be able to visualize the detection zone without an app?
Go to Top of Page

BLH
Advanced Member

6191 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2020 :  03:20:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Insteon Motion Sensor II has a jumper in it to lower its motion detection range by 10'. From specified 30' to 20'.
Through software you could alter its light sensitivity for dark light detection and night only.
Though it doesn't sound like it would be a good candidate for what you want to do.

Edited by - BLH on 05/21/2020 03:21:21 AM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Smarthome Forum © 2000-2020 Smartlabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page